a few questions regarding my filter, pressure and MA

Aug 9, 2010
Hi there~ I have a Hayward EC40 DE filter, which came with the pool, used :) Since we have had it, the starting pressure has always been 15-17 PSI. I'm told that it's high and shouldn't be that way. Is that an accurate statement? Also, I took it apart yesterday and soaked it for 8+ hours in the water/dishwasher detergent mix, pulled it out and soaked for 1/2 hour in the 1:1 MA solution. When I put this thing back together today, what should a good starting pressure be? I know each unit varies, but I'm looking for the norm. The question I have about the MA is would it be effective in cleaning if I keep it to reuse because I know that with my pool as green as it is, I will need to clean it again before too long. Plus, how long could I continue to use it? That is, IF anybody has experience re-using it. Thanks!

There is no normal, every pool is different. There is only normal for your pool, which you can only discover by trying it out. From your description 15 to 17 is normal for your pool.

You shouldn't have to do the full cleaning procedure on the grids more than once a year, actually most people only need to clean them once every several years. You do need to open up the filter and hose everything off more often than that, but only do a full cleaning when the starting pressure goes up and does not return to normal after a hosing off.

because I know that with my pool as green as it is,
If you are attempting to clear your green pool with the filter you will lose that battle. The pool must be shocked and all the algae killed first. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

duraleigh said:
because I know that with my pool as green as it is,
If you are attempting to clear your green pool with the filter you will lose that battle. The pool must be shocked and all the algae killed first. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

Sorry, I should have clarified before~ I have been doing the recommendations in 'turning your green swamp into a sparkling oasis'. I just had to take a break because I didn't clean the filter from last year before starting, and it was clogged. I'm a newbie with this pool thing~ 2nd year, and with each year I hope to gain more and more knowledge and experience. In the meantime, I've been reading here and learning a lot. So, thank you all again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.