Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Valve for Pentair CCP 520

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Valve for Pentair CCP 520

Hi Folks!

I'm helping a friend rebuild his pool plumbing pad on a new house/old pool. We are going to replace all of the equipment and he wants to switch from a sand filter to a cartridge. The only problem is the equipment is in an enclosed room with one small floor drain, and a separate 1 1/2" drain for the existing sand filter, all cast into the concrete floor. If we swap him over to a cartridge filter, the equipment room gets flooded with dirty filter water whenever he will have to clean those filters and open the body.

I personally have a Pentair CCP 520 cartridge filter, and it has a threaded main body drain plug with an O-ring. He will likely use the same filter. Is this some standard PVC type fitting that I could get and plumb with a valve, over to the old sand filter backwash drain? Instead of just pulling the plug and draining onto the floor, he would just open a valve and drain into the back yard?

Anybody know who might carry this fitting with an O-ring? Or just Pentair?

Thanks,
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain Valve for Pentair CCP 520

Looks like a standard 1½" thread x slip PVC elbow would work. With t-tape and/or paste it should seal without the o-ring.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's how I did mine: adding-a-to-waste-drain-to-plumbing-t35088.html?hilit=drain%20valve

there are pictures.

Your drain cap is the same one used on the CC100 that I have. I used standard PVC (not thin wall/Drain) on the pressurized side of the gate valve, after the gate valve it's standard waste (thin wall) PVC.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks,
    I'll test out the 1 1/2" pvc threads, I just don't know if it will seal without the O-ring.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

5. Back To Top    #5

yes it will, you could use some Teflon tape on the threaded to PVC adapter.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida