Pool Light Wiring

Jul 9, 2010
Woodway, TX
Is this the correct way to wire this light? Hot=Black Wire (B) Neutral=White Wire (W) All green grounds will tie in together. I am fairly competent in running wires but then again I have never run wiring to a pool. Although I have been shocked a handful of times I don't wish to have my 2 or 4 year old experience this.

Both boxes GCFI and Lightswitch are exterior/wet weather grade. The wires coming out of the subpanel go to the GCFI then to the pool light switch, then to the pool light

subpanel 20 Amp dedicated breaker
| |
| |
| Top |
(B) GCFI (W)
(B)Bottom (W)
| |
| |
Lightswitch
Black ^ on one leg
Black from pool light on other leg
Neutrals tie together
|
|
Pool Light

My question is I know I need to ground the GCFI and the light switch and the light together but do the also need to be grounded seperately, like to the ground in the boxes? I just want my peeps to be safe Also would it easier to just install an arc-fault breaker (AFB) instead of the GCFI or maybe add the AFB just in case?

Stick with the GFCI. The ground should be continuous from the panel to the light with no joints. Make sure you connect the pool bond wire to the bonding lug on the light housing.

JohnT said:
Stick with the GFCI. The ground should be continuous from the panel to the light with no joints. Make sure you connect the pool bond wire to the bonding lug on the light housing.

Okay I know where the pool bond wire is but are you saying there is a separate bonding lug in my light niche? Cause I really don't think I saw one. Again my pool was installed in 1986. Also my lovely niche is stainless steel.

acroberson said:
JohnT said:

Okay I know where the pool bond wire is but are you saying there is a separate bonding lug in my light niche? Cause I really don't think I saw one. Again my pool was installed in 1986. Also my lovely niche is stainless steel.

I read it as a new install. Sorry for the confusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.