CYA gone

Jun 22, 2008
So, I took the cover off this spring after putting it on in October when kids stopped swimming, and tested the CYA levels to find that the CYA was 0. I kept pool moderately chlorinated, but not as religiously as I do in the swim season. May have let slip a bit, but pool doesn't use as much chlorine when it the water is cool, I find. Any thoughts as to why the CYA would disappear? I have since added cya and got it back to 50. The pool is in the SoCal sun all day, so I need the higher cya level or I will need to pour chlorine in every day, sometimes twice as the sun eats it up within hours.

I've heard something about a bacteria that eats CYA? Anyone know anything?

Of course the idiots at Leslie's say that it is impossible and that I am not testing correctly. I testes three times with 2 diff kits. It disappeared.

CYA does that sometimes over the winter when the FC level falls to zero and soil bacteria that are capable of breaking down CYA start growing in the water. The bacteria explanation is not 100% verified, but the effect of CYA disappearing over the winter is well known and quite common.

Ok. Thanks. It is 100 percent verified that the people at Leslie's know nothing.

Also, one more question: I know you guys are not fans of ozonators, but I have to tell you that one great benefit that I have found is that I never have to shock my pool as the UV light kills the Chlorides for me. At least I think that is what is happening. Make sense to you?

Most people here never have to shock their pool either if you maintain the correct FC level for your CYA level.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Exactly. The sun provides plenty of UV to break the CCs down ... that is unless it is indoor or always covered.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.