Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA gone

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA gone

So, I took the cover off this spring after putting it on in October when kids stopped swimming, and tested the CYA levels to find that the CYA was 0. I kept pool moderately chlorinated, but not as religiously as I do in the swim season. May have let slip a bit, but pool doesn't use as much chlorine when it the water is cool, I find. Any thoughts as to why the CYA would disappear? I have since added cya and got it back to 50. The pool is in the SoCal sun all day, so I need the higher cya level or I will need to pour chlorine in every day, sometimes twice as the sun eats it up within hours.

I've heard something about a bacteria that eats CYA? Anyone know anything?

Of course the idiots at Leslie's say that it is impossible and that I am not testing correctly. I testes three times with 2 diff kits. It disappeared.
    Southern California/sun all day
    26k gal/in-ground plaster/jacuzzi spillway
    dual speed 1.5/2.5 Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator
    Wife in bikini and Margarita maker

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA gone

CYA does that sometimes over the winter when the FC level falls to zero and soil bacteria that are capable of breaking down CYA start growing in the water. The bacteria explanation is not 100% verified, but the effect of CYA disappearing over the winter is well known and quite common.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. Thanks. It is 100 percent verified that the people at Leslie's know nothing.

Also, one more question: I know you guys are not fans of ozonators, but I have to tell you that one great benefit that I have found is that I never have to shock my pool as the UV light kills the Chlorides for me. At least I think that is what is happening. Make sense to you?
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

Most people here never have to shock their pool either if you maintain the correct FC level for your CYA level.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So, I should stop giving credit to the ozonators and give myself the credit then is what you're saying.
    Cartridge Filter
    UV Ozonator
    Inline Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

Exactly. The sun provides plenty of UV to break the CCs down ... that is unless it is indoor or always covered.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!