Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Vs. DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Vs. DE Filter

My sand filter has a crack in it and needs replacement--wondering if we should switch to a DE filter. I know DE cleans better, but I feel a little intimidated with a switch....the sand is so easy, and I think my pool stays pretty clean. I have a Hayward 1 HP Power Flow Matrix for a 21' AG pool.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sand Filter Vs. DE Filter

If you have been happy with sand, I recommend sticking with sand. DE is more work, though the water is a little better with DE.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand Filter "Underdrain Hub"

I purchased a Hayward S180T Sand Filter. Directions say "Be sure pipe is securely in place in bottom underdrain hub." However, there is nothing that the pipe can fit securely in. Rather, the pipe (with its laterals) just kind of balances itself with the concave of the canister, but it is by no means "secure"...??? Am I missing a piece that this pipe should secure onto? Your help is greatly appreciated...I've got to get this filtration going today before my chlorine drops to 0.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Hi, Tammi,

Don't double post your question. I deleted the other one.

I think you are ok. As I remember my center pipe did get "screwed in" or anchored, either. I think it just fits into that bottom hub and the weight of the sand hold it in place. I seem to remember having to hold the center pipe when I first started to put in the sand to keep it perfectly in the center of the filter body.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much for your reply! And sorry about double posting...after I posted it here, I wasn't sure if it would be seen again under my previous question re: sand vs de....thanks again!!!!