2 horsepower pump Overkil

May 1, 2012
Mid-Missouri
We have a 15 x 30 above ground pool 48 inches tall. The pool was given to us about three summers ago so this makes our fourth summer with it.

The pump quit the first year and my son-in-law and daughter purchased a Hayward 1.5 horsepower pump. The pump did great until towards the end of last summer when it started acting up. It didn't want to start and you would have to mess with it. I was dissappointed that the pump didn't last any longer than 2 years (still have it).

This spring prior opening the pool up, I purchased a 2 horsepower pump on eBay. It was a White River brand, 110 volt. When we hooked the pump up it seems that it doesn't work nearly as good as the old pump. I have been fighting it for a month now and ready to pitch the stupid thing. I have since figured it is too much pump for our size pool -- is there anyway I can make it through the summer using the pump or should I chalk it up and just go ahead and replace it with a smaller size pump?

While you certainly don't need a 2 HP pump, and it will use more electricity than a smaller pump would, chances are that you could get through a season with it. The real answer depends on what filter you have and on how many amps the pump is rated for (the name plate HP number doesn't really tell the whole story).

11 amps isn't so bad (I'm assuming 120 volts). They are seriously over rating the HP, which is fairly common on above ground pool pumps. It may have some problems, but you should be able to limp along.

By the by, if I'm wrong, and it is somehow a 240 volt pump, then it is seriously too large. But that seems unlikely.

It is run on 110 volts. In fact, no pun intended don't flame me, I have it running on a 50 foot extension cord. We don't have an outside outlet and so have to run it into the house to plug it in.

I do know regardless I would never recommend that brand pump to anyone that asked for my opinion.

Hubby tells me he will rebuild the other pump and hope he does -- it did a much better job of circulating the water and when vacuuming. But he drives a truck and isn't home much so don't know when he will get around to it. :(

I used to have a 1hp on my old pool on a 25 foot extension cord I use for my weed eater and I had problems with it. I put a 12 ga cord on it and the problem was solved. If you must do a cord (and I strongly suggest against it) then get a heavy duty one.

It is a heavy duty one that Menards recommended. It is a 15 amp rated.

We have a GFC thing between the pump and the extension cord (guess that is where I should put it) rated for contractors.

My brother keeps promising he will run the wire out so that we will have an electrical GFC on a pole out by the pool, but hasn't done it yet.

I have even purchased the stuff so when he is ready -- I am ready :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We specifically went to Menards last night to get a 12 ga. extension cord -- but they were rated as 15 amps too. We couldn't find any of the 12 gauge ones rated any higher.

So since I am not tech savvy in the ways of extension cords -- I have a 14 gauge rated at 15 amps why go with a 12 gauge that is also rated at 15 amps?

I am not against spending another $40 on one but don't want to if I am not getting what I need.

Obviously, #12 is bigger then #14, and there is less resistance to current flow in the bigger wire.
In practical terms, there will be less voltage 'lost' by the extension cord with a bigger wire.

If you have 120 volts at the receptacle, and your motor draws 10 amps, then a 100 ft extension cord of #14 wire will have about 115 volts available at the motor, where a #12 wire will have around 117 volts.

The cords are rated for the circuits they can be used with, not the capacity of the wire, and since the plug and socket are rated for 15 amps, the cord can only be rated for 15 amps, regardless of wire size.

Protip: 20 amp plugs and receptacles have one blade 'sideways', so that they cannot be inserted into a standard 15 amp receptacle.

Okay that makes sense.

I am hoping to grab my brother in the next week or two and have put in the wiring etc so I don't have to run the extension cord. Both brothers, and forum members back it up, that the extension cord is causing me headaches.

When you get the wire run, make sure it is at least 12awg as well ... maybe larger depending on the distance and the load you will draw.

A 14awg wire would have the same problem as the extension cord.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.