Salt test kit or electronic meter

Jun 14, 2012
I have a new Circupool rj 45 salt generator and added salt to the pool according to the total gallons of the pool and every thing is working great!
Being the inquisitive person I am , I am wondering what the salt ppm is? So what do I need to test the salt level?
Thanks,
Flywindy

Just a heads up that the strips are +/- 400 ppm, so they give you general idea of salt level. One other thing to keep in mind is if the swg is happy that is most important, and what your salt test reads is less important since the swg needs to run. If you want +/- 200 ppm accuracy, which typically is not necessary, then this kit is also available: http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

linen said:
If you want +/- 200 ppm accuracy
The Taylor salt test is +-400 in the range where most SWGs want their salt level (2500 to 3500). All of the Taylor drop tests are +- one drop and +- another drop for every ten drops. A drop is 200 on the salt test, and measuring between 2000 and 3800 requires 10 to 19 drops, which means a total of +- two drops, or +-400.

The two tests, AquaChek Salt Test Strips and the Taylor K-1766 have the same precision in the required range. However the Taylor kit is more accurate because the AquaChek strips are simply dead wrong every now and then (though no one seems to know why or how to tell when).

If you need to know what the salt level is, get a digital meter. It's the only way to go IMO. Accurate to .01. You can calibrate it with a packaged salt solution when needed. And you don't have to wait for the results. Your level comes up as soon as you stick it in the water.

Perfect for inquisitive types.

I have three. Had them all for at least 5 years, check them every month(dip them in a known level), only had to calibrate 5 times (collectively) in the last 5 years, And they were never off by more than .2 gpl. I can live with that.

I do have a complaint about them though, the batteries only last about 2 years.

Yes, i am bias about the digital testers. But for the amount of times i need one, and the speed, you just can't beat it. At about 100 bucks, they pay for themselves.

Question: Typically, how many drops do you need to administer in a salinity test? I suppose it's a Taylor kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.