Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt test kit or electronic meter

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt test kit or electronic meter

I have a new Circupool rj 45 salt generator and added salt to the pool according to the total gallons of the pool and every thing is working great!
    Being the inquisitive person I am , I am wondering what the salt ppm is? So what do I need to test the salt level?
    Thanks,
    Flywindy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt test kit or electronic meter

Welcome to tfp, Flywindy

This is what I use: http://tftestkits.net/Salt-Test-Stri...-Chek-p28.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks,
    I'll order some tomorrow!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a heads up that the strips are +/- 400 ppm, so they give you general idea of salt level. One other thing to keep in mind is if the swg is happy that is most important, and what your salt test reads is less important since the swg needs to run. If you want +/- 200 ppm accuracy, which typically is not necessary, then this kit is also available: http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    If you want +/- 200 ppm accuracy
    The Taylor salt test is +-400 in the range where most SWGs want their salt level (2500 to 3500). All of the Taylor drop tests are +- one drop and +- another drop for every ten drops. A drop is 200 on the salt test, and measuring between 2000 and 3800 requires 10 to 19 drops, which means a total of +- two drops, or +-400.

The two tests, AquaChek Salt Test Strips and the Taylor K-1766 have the same precision in the required range. However the Taylor kit is more accurate because the AquaChek strips are simply dead wrong every now and then (though no one seems to know why or how to tell when).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the correction

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If you need to know what the salt level is, get a digital meter. It's the only way to go IMO. Accurate to .01. You can calibrate it with a packaged salt solution when needed. And you don't have to wait for the results. Your level comes up as soon as you stick it in the water.

Perfect for inquisitive types.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

8. Back To Top    #8

The meters drift, so they have to be calibrated regularly. They also cost more than the Taylor test, so only worth it if you are measuring salt levels frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I have three. Had them all for at least 5 years, check them every month(dip them in a known level), only had to calibrate 5 times (collectively) in the last 5 years, And they were never off by more than .2 gpl. I can live with that.

I do have a complaint about them though, the batteries only last about 2 years.

Yes, i am bias about the digital testers. But for the amount of times i need one, and the speed, you just can't beat it. At about 100 bucks, they pay for themselves.

Question: Typically, how many drops do you need to administer in a salinity test? I suppose it's a Taylor kit?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

Each drop in the Taylor test is 200 ppm of salt. For a typical salt level of say 3200 that would be 16 drops.