Low Salt Alarm But Salt Leve Is Fine

Jun 14, 2012
This is the second year of use for our Krystal Clear Sand and Salt Water System 1600gph for our 16ft diameter Intex pool. Last year everything ran perfectly. After only having the system hooked up for a couple of weeks this year we are having nothing but problems. we stored it properly, to the T, duing the winter! We keep getting a low salt alarm. At first I just added a little salt, then, when we got the alarm again in just a day or two, I knew something was up. Checked the manual said to clean the electrolytic cell, did that, but still getting low salt alarm. Intex hasn't been much help. Say I need to replace the cell but it seems fine. I can tell chlorine is being made by all the bubbles forming on the plates when the unit is running. Our unit is no longer under warranty and really can't afford to get another right now. Was wondering if there is a way to bypass the low slat alarm and just monitor the salt levels myself so that it will keep making chlorine? Right now I am having to turn on the unit, let it run till it shuts itself off because of the alarm, which is just 1 hr, then start over again.

Yes, I have cleaned the plates with vinegar and rinsed with water. There seems to be minimal build up compared to last year. Our water tends to be high in calcium and last year I had to clean the plates once a week. This year, there is less build up and the low salt. How do I tell if the plates are bad? I have a low chlorine level right now due to the fact I can't get the system to work for more than an hour at a time. I haven't checked the salt since we started everything up but it tastes salty (yeah, I know that gross but when you swim, it gets in your mouth sometimes:)). Last year I don't remember it being like that at all. I only had to had salt toward the end of the season last year after 3 months of swimming. We live in a small town and the nearest pool store is 50+ miles away. What test do you recommend for the salt?

It is a little tricky because the SWG will read low salt right before it fails, but it is also possible that your salt actually is low. The Taylor K-1766 is an excellent salt test.

The simples thing is probably to raise the salt level by about 500, enough to make the unit happy if it is working, but not enough to get the salt level way too high if the unit is failing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.