Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on pool cleaner

Pool cleaner has gone bad. Was a suction side cleaner that worked ok, but never really worked wonders. Now that it has to be replaced, what are recommendations for replacement.
    I am fairly sure that the reason the suction side cleaner never worked really well is 2 reasons.
    Builder never devoted a line to the cleaner, so you have to run it through the skimmer, and it seems like it is tough to get that great of suction doing it that way, to many bypasses that will work rather then devote to suction of cleaner.
    We can put a booster pump on to use a return type cleaner ( polaris 280).
    Or work with a separate powered unit (dolphin supreme m4).
    The difficulty lies in that the deep end of the pool has sides that are carved to look like stone, so doubtful any cleaner could do that end but the other sides are not as rough.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11,000 gal gunite pool w detached 500 gal. spa
    Hayward P8 controller and SWG
    Pebble finish on bottom
    Automatic cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Re: Advice on pool cleaner

Well you certainly have many options!

If you decide to stick with a suction side cleaner, the Barracuda MX8 does a good job (and is designed for low flow). If you migrate to a pressure side cleaner, then the 280 you mention is extremely popular. As for robotics, I am not familiar with the Dolphin Supreme M4, but the DX5 did I am confident in their equipment. The polaris 9300 and 9400 are both pretty popular. You could get the 9300xi comes with a remote, which might be helpful for the rough surface of the deep end. I am not sure if ANY cleaner will do a good job on that rough area though.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pflugerville, Texas

Re: Advice on pool cleaner

I'd go with a pressure-side unit. The pool designer was an idiot, but you're stuck. You certainly don't want to lose your skimmer . . .
    Just my .02.
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).