Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA went down over the winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA went down over the winter?

Hi All,

Last summer was my first summer at a new house that had a pool. The prior owner used chlorine pucks and the CYA was very high all summer, in the neighborhood of 95. Pool School says the typical way to reduce CYA is to drain and replace water. I got tired of that after replacing about 12 inches of water, so I just used lots of bleach as called for in the calculator and the pool was fine but the CYA stayed high all summer. So far no surprises. But this summer, I just opened the pool and it balanced very quickly and got very clean very fast, but my first test of CYA reads 35 or maybe 40. Is there an explanation for how the CYA went down over the winter? If relevant, I live in central Virginia.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: CYA went down over the winter?

It's pretty normal to lose quite a bit over the winter. I lose all of mine every year.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Seems to sometimes happen over winter. One theory is a bacteria breaking it down into ammonia. But does not sound like you saw a lot a CC as is typical of ammonia.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

I am not sure of the chemistry behind it, but this is not uncommon. Enjoy this pool season with much less chlorine use!

5. Back To Top    #5
    South Carolina

Hi Gene and welome to the forum

Use the google search (bottom left on page) for disappearing cya. Lotsa threads around if you'd like to do more reading.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everybody. It is good to see that this happens to others. I will do the Google search and read up about it, but in the meantime, I'm glad to hear that it is at least possible that my testing was accurate last year and this year. Plus I can take the station wagon instead of the pickup to buy bleach, right?

Happy swimming!

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

Depending on the bacteria, the CYA can get broken down to ammonia or it can get broken down to nitrogen gas (see Degradation of Cyanuric Acid (CYA) for technical details). So upon spring opening you may a huge chlorine demand where adding chlorine produces a lot of CC from ammonia, or you may have no chlorine demand and a nice pool with lower or zero CYA in it. If we could only figure out a way to bottle the proper bacteria and have them do what we want when we want... Actually, it turns out that some waste water treatment of sludge does involve intentional dosing with bacteria and varying oxygen levels to break down organics similar to CYA all the way to nitrogen gas, so it's not that far-fetched.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"