Opps. Forgot to shock pool after opening. Bad?

vk

May 27, 2010
TN
I don't know why or how, but I completely forgot to shock the pool after opening.

The pool has been cleaned and running for a few weeks, but no one has been in it yet.

My main question is should I go ahead and shock the pool and kind of "start over"? We've been running the SWG almost constantly and haven't been able to raise chlorine levels above 2 and I didn't know if it could also be because the lack of shocking (We had issues with the SWG, addressed in another post).

Here are the last numbers:

FC - 2
CC - .5
PH - 7.5/7.8
TA - 110
CYA - 50/60 (Added more a few days ago to increase to 80)

Last year the pool was shocked and we had no trouble keeping great levels with the SWG all summer so I don't know if that could be why we are stuck right now 3 weeks later.

You can do the OCLT and determine the presence of organics. Make sure to turn off the SWG before the test. Instructions are in Pool School.

I suggest that you use liquid chlorine/bleach to help SWG maintain appropriate FC levels until you get that issue figured out.

Since you have some CC, shocking would certainly not hurt. You could also turn your SWCG off and preform an OCLT. This would help indicate if you have an algae in your pool. EDIT: Butterfly beat me, but at least we are on the same page! :goodjob:

No chlorine added at all. Been a bad year for stupid pool mistakes it seems.

I will check out the OCLT. I have noticed that if I don't run the SWG 24/7 that I end up with a FC of 1 or even back down to zero.

Went ahead and did that - added bleach and kept the SWG off until this morning (maybe should still keep it off?)

FC is up to 14.5 and no CC left. TA went up to 120. CYA still only at about 65 so I'm guessing another dose is needed.

The FC number is about what I had last year after doing the initial shock. The water was pretty clear before, but now it is much better looking.

With a FC that high, is it safe to get in the pool yet for more cleaning or should it drop?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
vk...I am confused as to what you are doing. Are you following the shocking process or are you doing an Overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT)?

I think Butterfly was suggesting the OCLT. Let's do that tonight to see where you are. Measure your FC level after the sun is off the pool, then measure it again in the morning before the sun hits the pool water. The difference is your OCLT value, and if it is higher than 1 ppm (the difference not the absolute value) then you need to do the shocking process.

I didn't know that the OCLT thing was actually a test, but that was what I had done the previous night since I left off the SWG and took readings before and after to see if the SWG was doing anything - that is where I got the drop from. So then last night I did the shocking

FC went from 2 to 1 the next morning and since opening I've never been able to get the FC to even go above 2 with the SWG alone. A few days before that when I did the same thing it went from 2 to 0.

Bring your pool to shock level and test it after an hour to make sure it got to shock level, and if it didn't, raise it back to shock level as often as it requires. Then just after dark test the FC & CC and then test it again in the morning before daylight. If the FC has fallen more than 1 ppm, or you have .5 ppm CC or more raise it back to shock level and hold it there until you can pass the OCLT.

Bama's got it right on (3 posts up). In my mind you can't do a valid OCLT below your minimum FC level. At least I wouldn't. Add liquid chlorine & get the FC level up. Don't depend on the SWG to do it for you. If you don't go clear to shock, at least get it up in the 9-10 area this evening. Turn the SWG off for the night but DO leave the pump running. Then do a FC AND cc's test before retiring, or at least an hour after adding chlorine. The sun has to be down & off the pool to get a good reading for the OCLT. Wake up early before the sun gets on the pool & measure again. If you have more than 1 ppm loss between this night time period, &/or you have greater than .5 CC, you have to take it to shock level to clear the organics. If you have less than 1ppm loss & .5 CC, great. Kick the SWG back on, & start getting it dialed in to handle the daily FC loss due to sunlight as the higher level of FC floats down, AND go swimming. Hope this helps & it's pretty much what I do every spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.