Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it worth converting to SWCG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plano, TX

Is it worth converting to SWCG?

I bought a house in February... first time pool owner... Plano Texas.

I've been reading this forum for a few months. Right now my pool looks great but I know my CYA is high.

I was just wondering if it was worth the cost to convert to a SWCG system. Seems a bit pricey, but what's the payout?
    Buz Williams
    Plano, Texas
    15,660 gallon IG, plaster,Nautilus FNS DE filter
    Challenger PAC-FAB 1 1/2 HP pump, Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator
    Taylor K-2005 test kit, Kreepy Krawler

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Is it worth converting to SWCG?

A great many people love their SWGs, but some don't like them. The big draw is that it reduces how much work you do, eliminating most manual additions of chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Cost is certainly not the driving factor ... convenience is.

Try the bleach method for awhile to learn how to maintain the pool. Then of you get tired of hauling jugs, look into the SWG.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas, TX

Depends on what you consider pricey. It cost me around $900 to do mine myself. That includes over $100 for copper fittings for my ancient pool plumbing so I could attach PVC, the SWCG, and the salt. And you won't need near as much salt as me, and doubtful you'll have to buy those copper fittings. With a much smaller pool than I have, you could also get away with a smaller SWCG, but I would highly recommend getting the same one I have for longevity reasons.

I travel a lot, so there's nobody here to babysit my chlorine level. Plus, the wife was getting tired of hauling Clorox from Costco, even though I was buying just as much as her from Kroger.

Consider what you spend per year on bleach, the hassle of it all, the need to pretty much check your FC daily (I check mine once or twice a week now), and the worry you might have if you travel for work or pleasure...

In my mind, in the scope of what a pool costs to build and maintain, another $900 is pennies in the bucket.

Your CYA will need to be around 70-80 for your SWCG, so if you are there already, take that into consideration.

You will most likely spend more on muriatic acid than you are now, but it's cheap, and you won't use near as much as you do bleach.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!