Above ground filter for in ground pool?

Jun 14, 2012
I have a very small in ground pool, about 15,000 gallons and approximately 12x24. I recently converted to saltwater (with a Jandy product), and I have a cartridge filter (which I hate, if it gets the slightest bit clogged it makes the satwater mechanism turn off). I always planned on switching to a DE Filter (although I plan to use an environmentally friendly chemical subsitute), but my pool guy talked me out of it. Big mistake! My question is, because my pool is so small, can I use an above ground DE filter like the Hayward EC50? Any and all help is welcomed!
thanks
Kellie

Welcome to tfp, kelliejo1211 :wave:

The filter does not care if the pool is above ground or in ground...pumps on the other hand are affected by pool type/pump elevation to pool elevation.

What cartridge filter do you have?
What pump do you have?

It maybe that your pump is oversized for your filter, or your filter may be undersized for your pool.

I have a Hayward pump model c48k2n143b and my filter is a Hayward c751, any thoughts. I just think my cartridge filter is too slow at cleaning, I'm definitely switching to a de filter I just don't know what model to get, thanks again!

Your biggest problem is that your filter is too small for your pump. The EC-50 will be even worse than the C750. An EC-75 might work but even it is on the small side.

A good DE filter for you would be in the 48 to 60 sqft size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.