I still have a cloudy pool

poolmama67 said:
So I take it that the HTH test kits are worthless?

The HTH test kits (the "OTO" one) are not worthless. The limitation they have is that they only test total chlorine instead of free chlorine and combined chlorine and they only test up to 5 ppm chlorine. To test above 5 ppm with the test kits that use the color matching, you have to dilute the sample with water that has no chlorine (preferably distilled water).

I got by my first year of BBB with one of those 6 way HTH OTO test kits from Walmart, but have since moved onto a Taylor K2005 + Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine test, which together is a roughly equivalent to the TF-100 test kits everyone here mentioned has all of the tests.

I would recommend getting a TF100, or a Taylor K2006. I made a mistake in buying the K2005, which is why I had to buy the FAS-DPD test separately. I also recommend the "Speedstir" as mentioned above. I ordered one with my FAS-DPD test kit and it makes doing the drop by drop test MUCH easier.

If I had it to do all over again I would have just bought a TF100 or Taylor K2006 in the first place, but I didn't find TFP until after I had cleared up the swap that came with my house.

Pool water is cleared up now. Was able to enjoy the water and swim today. I have read the pool school information. That's a lot of information so I will spend more time re-reading the information and I have also ordered the test kit recommended. Testing water every day with the testing materials that I have at the moment so that the water doesn't get out of hand again. I have family coming in next week and are looking forward to some pool time. Again, I am so glad that I found this site and will not go back to the pool supply store.

water going cloudy again. Did test with HTH 6 way test kit from walmart:
TC-1
PH-7.2
CYA-unsure as I could still slightly see the black dot at 30
TA-110
TH-0

Adding fresh water to attempt to bring CYA down. And add 2 jug (186 oz) of bleach (6%)

any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Hoping K-2006 test kit comes in tomorrow or Tuesday. :roll: :cry:

A 1 ppm chlorine level is, of course, too low. And we don't even know if that or the CYA level are the right amounts. We'll know soon once you get the K-2006.

Why are you trying to get the CYA down if it seems like it's less than 30? If the CYA level is really that low, then that will have the chlorine drop faster in sunlight. If you are there staying on top of the pool adding chlorine regularly during the day, then a low CYA level would be OK and let you kill off algae faster, but otherwise you'd want it a little higher, probably 40 or 50 ppm.

So if I need to raise my CYA, I have to buy stabilizer right? Still not received test kit. Checked on status-shipped with no tracking information.

Tested water this morning and concerned about the CYA level as it is still the same and ph is 7.2. Is the PH ok?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Received my K-2006 test kit. Check the chlorine levels at 9:05 last night:

FC-8.5
CC-.5

Check all the levels this morning at 8:15 am:
FC-8
CC-.5
PH-7.4
TA-100
CH-90
CYA-20 or less-could still slightly see the black dot with the tube completely full.

I have granular shock. Can I raise my CYA using that?

poolmama67 said:
Ok. I only have the cal-hypo shock so I can't use that. What do I need to add?
To raise the CYA, add cyanuric acid, (also labled as stabilizer or conditioner). Ingredients should be 95ish % cyanuric acid. You can get a jug at wallyworld, pool store, big box store, etc. The wallyworld is reported to be more powdery and dissolves faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.