How much bleach to use?

Jul 31, 2010
ontario canada
How much 6% bleach to put in an intex salt water pool 16' round by 42" deep to shock it?then how much to mantaine it, it isnt algea but my pump isnt generating chlorine I guess, after 6 days no FC? stablilizer in there and still nothing?I am thinking of just using st8 bleach now , forget the salt if it isnt working.

katherine47 said:
Ok thanks I have added about 6L of ultra bleach and I am sitting good at 2.4ppm for FC but now my alkalinity is at 0ppm. Do I add some baking soda and how much ? also is all baking soda the same? as in doesnt have to be the A&H does it?

FC-2.4
TC-NOT RUN
PH-7.3
HARDNESS-290
ALKALINITY-0PPM
CYA-10
MY NUMBERS
AFTER ADDING ABOUT 6L ULTRA BLEACH THERE WAS ALSO 3 LARGE STABLILIZER PUCKS THAT HAD BEEN DISOLVED AND AFTER ADDING THE BLEACH THE PPM WENT FROM 25 TO 10

NUMBERS BEFORE ADDING BLEACH
FC-0
TC-0.2
CC-0.2
PH-7.3
HARDneSS-290
CYA-25
ALK-133

AND THERE WAS 2 BAGS OF SALT ADDED TO THIS POOL AND NOTHING GENERATING FOR CHLORINE

Hi katherine47:

What kind of test kit are you using? I'm a bit perplexed as to why your TA (Alkalinity) went from 133 to 0 and why your CYA dropped from 25 to 10 after adding 6L (~1.58 gallons) of 6% bleach. I use 6% bleach all the time and the only time my TA drops is when I deliberately take action to do that by using Muriatic Acid and aeration and that is a slow process. Bleach should not impact your CYA. With very rare exceptions, the only way to lower CYA is to drain & replace some water. Also, is "HARDNESS" Calcium Hardness (CH) or something else?

Hi, hardness would be calcium, and I had these done at a pool store today. testing my water before I added bleach as I had it tested the day before and was told there was no FC showing. And then also after I added the bleach.Is done by a computer read out.

I should add that my pool for now is completely clear , but I am worried it may grow algae if I dont keep the FC maintained.. the salt doesnt seem to be generating any chlorine or hasnt yet with the pump I have so I am just wanting to keep adding bleach to it and not rely on the swg to do what it should be doing.Maybe I have not ran the pump enough hr wise and that is why.. I figured 6 hrs would of been sufficient but maybe it is more like 15 hrs? This is only my 2nd yr with this pool and the first yr was nothing but a disaster with algae due to the pump being hooked up backwards and salt not generating chlorine .I dont want to buy a bunch of chemicals I just want to be able to keep the pool clean and be able to use it without skin irritants

Todays readings after running my pump all night for about 15 hrs

FC 8.0 HIGH but I guess that due to the liquid chlorine I had to add due to 0 ppm reading it is now reading 8.0ppm
CYA is now 50ppm

Alkalinity-185 ppm which is high, this was at 0ppm yesterday then I added 1/2c of baking soda to the water which today put it up to 185ppm so now is to high, will this dissipate or do I know need to use Borax? is it? Im new!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.