Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach to use?

How much 6% bleach to put in an intex salt water pool 16' round by 42" deep to shock it?then how much to mantaine it, it isnt algea but my pump isnt generating chlorine I guess, after 6 days no FC? stablilizer in there and still nothing?I am thinking of just using st8 bleach now , forget the salt if it isnt working.
    Intex 16' round 42" deep SWG pool , 15,094 L water capacity ,1000 GPH Intex Filter Pump Krystal Clear Model 637

2. Back To Top    #2

How much bleach to use?

Read up on how to shock your pool, and use pool calculator to determine how much bleach to use.
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    http://poolcalculator.com
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much bleach to use?

To know that we have to know how much FC is in it now and how much CYA you have in it. Knowing those things it's easy to use the Pool Calc to figure how much bleach to use.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks I have added about 6L of ultra bleach and I am sitting good at 2.4ppm for FC but now my alkalinity is at 0ppm. Do I add some baking soda and how much ? also is all baking soda the same? as in doesnt have to be the A&H does it?
    Intex 16' round 42" deep SWG pool , 15,094 L water capacity ,1000 GPH Intex Filter Pump Krystal Clear Model 637

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by katherine47
    Ok thanks I have added about 6L of ultra bleach and I am sitting good at 2.4ppm for FC but now my alkalinity is at 0ppm. Do I add some baking soda and how much ? also is all baking soda the same? as in doesnt have to be the A&H does it?
    FC-2.4
    TC-NOT RUN
    PH-7.3
    HARDNESS-290
    ALKALINITY-0PPM
    CYA-10
    MY NUMBERS
    AFTER ADDING ABOUT 6L ULTRA BLEACH THERE WAS ALSO 3 LARGE STABLILIZER PUCKS THAT HAD BEEN DISOLVED AND AFTER ADDING THE BLEACH THE PPM WENT FROM 25 TO 10

NUMBERS BEFORE ADDING BLEACH
    FC-0
    TC-0.2
    CC-0.2
    PH-7.3
    HARDneSS-290
    CYA-25
    ALK-133

AND THERE WAS 2 BAGS OF SALT ADDED TO THIS POOL AND NOTHING GENERATING FOR CHLORINE

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi katherine47:

What kind of test kit are you using? I'm a bit perplexed as to why your TA (Alkalinity) went from 133 to 0 and why your CYA dropped from 25 to 10 after adding 6L (~1.58 gallons) of 6% bleach. I use 6% bleach all the time and the only time my TA drops is when I deliberately take action to do that by using Muriatic Acid and aeration and that is a slow process. Bleach should not impact your CYA. With very rare exceptions, the only way to lower CYA is to drain & replace some water. Also, is "HARDNESS" Calcium Hardness (CH) or something else?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi, hardness would be calcium, and I had these done at a pool store today. testing my water before I added bleach as I had it tested the day before and was told there was no FC showing. And then also after I added the bleach.Is done by a computer read out.

8. Back To Top    #8

I should add that my pool for now is completely clear , but I am worried it may grow algae if I dont keep the FC maintained.. the salt doesnt seem to be generating any chlorine or hasnt yet with the pump I have so I am just wanting to keep adding bleach to it and not rely on the swg to do what it should be doing.Maybe I have not ran the pump enough hr wise and that is why.. I figured 6 hrs would of been sufficient but maybe it is more like 15 hrs? This is only my 2nd yr with this pool and the first yr was nothing but a disaster with algae due to the pump being hooked up backwards and salt not generating chlorine .I dont want to buy a bunch of chemicals I just want to be able to keep the pool clean and be able to use it without skin irritants

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to raise your CYA level. The recommended CYA level for a SWG is from 70 to 80.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Todays readings after running my pump all night for about 15 hrs

FC 8.0 HIGH but I guess that due to the liquid chlorine I had to add due to 0 ppm reading it is now reading 8.0ppm
    CYA is now 50ppm

Alkalinity-185 ppm which is high, this was at 0ppm yesterday then I added 1/2c of baking soda to the water which today put it up to 185ppm so now is to high, will this dissipate or do I know need to use Borax? is it? Im new!

11. Back To Top    #11

Baking soda will raise TA. To lower TA see the full procedure in the article in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I remembered that after I posted and then edit it, please re read it now.

13. Back To Top    #13

Swg new to me fc 0 i shocked the pool last night still green but not cloudy
    water how much bleach to add 10000 gallon