I Love Going to the Pool Store

Mar 18, 2012
Amarillo, Texas
I love going to the pool store just to mess with their minds. First I take in a sample of water. Have them test it and listen to their speel about what chemicals I need to buy to get my pool balanced. Leslie's is by far the funnest place! Then I poke around the store for a bit and ask them where they sell the liquid shock, borax and baking soda. Their eyes just about roll in the back of their head. When the store manager tells me they don't sell these items, I tell them I'm headed to Walmart then.

If I see people at Walmart or Lowe's in the pool section that are either getting stuff to set up a new pool or looking to purchase more chemicals, I always tell them about their site. I've even whipped out my iphone to show them how pretty my water is. None of them have ever left with any chemicals, so hopefully they are making their way here.

When I was still on bleach, I got all my stuff at the local Kroger. I was in line with my usual cart full of bleach, and someone behind me asked if I owned a dry cleaning shop. The girl at the register said "I bet he's maintaining his pool. I used to work at Leslie's and there's no reason to go there."

:D

I was in my local pool store the other day to buy 12% Cl. The employees there are quite nice, and the one I saw the other day takes his time trying to be helpful. He was telling me all about this "new" method he heard of to lower TA by dumping large amounts of muriatic acid into the deep end. I told him I had read (here) that that was a good way to damage the pool surface. His response was - you seem to know a lot about pool chemistry, so I better not try that on my pool.
I felt pretty good about helping the pool store guy out.
He still thinks I'm insane for maintaining my pool on liquid chlorine instead of triclor pucks, but oh well! :-D

I've not been brave enough to visit the pools store since we've gotten our pool up and running, except for a mechanical piece or part that is needed.

We went a few times when we were pool shopping, but i didn't understand the details of water balance at that time. They could've suckered me in for awhile if I hadn't started research online prior to putting our pool in. So thankful I did and found TFP.

One of these days I'd like to go in w/ perfect pool water and see what they tell me I need. It might be funny to post results from people who have done that.

My husband thinks I'm nuts. :) But I think he kind of enjoys it as well. When I tell random strangers, not to buy all that junk and tell them what I use to maintain my pool they also think I'm nuts. But when I show them pics of my pool water, well, the proof is in the pudding (ok, pool water)!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Not me...I get ulcers keeping stuff inside when I hear the advice being given and see the amount of money being spent while I wait in line (which I have only done once) :pale:
Me, too. :grrrr:

I bought a bag of fiberclear at the big chain pool store. Well....I knew they had it, and I drive past the place both ways on my commute.

So I'm waiting behind a guy paying for his robot repair and across the counter someone else is having water tested. I just had to grit my teeth. The woman had no idea how big her pool was, for starters. All she knew was it was green. But they went ahead and tested her sample. What good it did, I have no idea. Wait, yes I do - it sold a bunch of product. Whether it was the right product, in sufficient quantities, I'll never know. I paid and scurried out before the expert started prescribing.

Suziqzer said:
I've not been brave enough to visit the pools store since we've gotten our pool up and running, except for a mechanical piece or part that is needed.

We went a few times when we were pool shopping, but i didn't understand the details of water balance at that time. They could've suckered me in for awhile if I hadn't started research online prior to putting our pool in. So thankful I did and found TFP.

One of these days I'd like to go in w/ perfect pool water and see what they tell me I need. It might be funny to post results from people who have done that.

I have, they said my ph was 8.4 (it was 7.4) and needed to add acid.

They said my CYA was 100 (it was 45) and that it should be ok, but was getting high.

I think they should make a sticky with incorrect pool store results because one of the issues people have is "I doubt the pool store is that far off". There have been many threads about this, but they eventually get buried.

LOL. I had to go pick up a new pressure gauge this morning. So I went to Leslie's because the manager is such an arrogant jerk. :) I had them test my water and surprisingly my results were pretty close to theirs. Of course their FC measurement was off because they can only test to 5. The guy said my FC was high and I had 1000 ppm in phosphates, but that my pool was pretty spot on. I simply replied, well as long as my FC is within the right levels then my phosphate level shouldn't matter and he had to grudgingly admit I was right. Now I need a trouble free pool t-shirt for when I walk into these stores.

I knew I found a pool store owner that I'd be happy to support locally etc. when I let her test my water and she turned to me and said "Your water is absolutely perfect; don't change a thing." Of course, she's an indie, and the owner, and I have no idea what her staff might actually tell me ;)

But so far, she's been pretty supportive of the BBB approach. When I told her I was doing BBB, she said to keep MA on hand because while pucks tended to lower ph and add cya; bleach tended to raise ph a little and that would be all I'd likely need to watch for. She also said she found personally found MA to be much more effective than dry acid.

So I now buy my Cover Free and my MA from her (she's actually cheaper than the hardware store on MA) and feel comfortably otherwise stopping in for toys. But I had been to just about everyone else in town -- and those experiences were pretty much exactly as described in the original post!

mpacheco72 said:
LOL. I had to go pick up a new pressure gauge this morning. So I went to Leslie's because the manager is such an arrogant jerk. :) I had them test my water and surprisingly my results were pretty close to theirs. Of course their FC measurement was off because they can only test to 5. The guy said my FC was high and I had 1000 ppm in phosphates, but that my pool was pretty spot on. I simply replied, well as long as my FC is within the right levels then my phosphate level shouldn't matter and he had to grudgingly admit I was right. Now I need a trouble free pool t-shirt for when I walk into these stores.

Go to http://www.zazzle.com/ and make us some! (t-shirts)

First year to own a pool......found TFP after purchase but before installation of said pool. Haven't been to a pool store and don't ever plan on going but it sounds like fun! I had enough fun screwing my my PB about testing etc. he would take a sample back to the store to test, you'd think he had a TFP kit in his truck for testing on the site......

harleysilo said:
Go to http://www.zazzle.com/ and make us some! (t-shirts)
You don't need to - they're ready to go whenever you are:
http://www.cafepress.com/troublefreepool

custom_tshirt.jpg

I used to have a pool store, and I manually tested water for people. Mostly just makes them feel better. Many have to confidence in there pool ability's lol.

The local pool wallet killer has the old electronic water tester. My dad, been in the pool business 42 years, says the system is hooked up to inventory and spits out what there over stocked on!

One of my customers this year had a pool turn green, first time in 4 years, the Ozone plugged. Went down to Clown World and bought what they said would clear up the pool. 6 gallons of 34% Muriatic acid. LMAO it was crystal clear! Even the liner lol. I got a liner job out of the deal but they panicked. Never lose your mind and run to the pool store. Take a deep breath, have a drink lol. Then calmly think about it..

I LOVE purchasing bleach in hugh quantities because people get so worried. I have two fun stories.

Last year, when we filled our pool, I picked up my sister and went to my local grocery store. I purchased about 40 gallons of bleach. When we were in the check out lane, I turned to my sister and said, "do you think this is enough to clean the blood out of the entire room"? BUHAHAHAHA

Then, this year when we opened, Wal-Greens had bleach on sale for $.79 per gallon. I went in with all six kids and told them all to grab a couple bottles. We wiped out the shelf. A couple days later when I figured they had restocked, I went in again and told them I would like everything on the shelf. The checkout girl said, "oh, I remember you, my manager told me to get him if you came back". THe manager was clearly uncomfortable and asked, "um, it's probably non of my business, but I really would like to know why someone would need so much bleach". I told him about the BBB method. He was impressed and asked so many questions. He also told me to watch his sign for more bleach sales. There you have it!

PS, I too love hanging out at the pool store. A few times, I have witnessed customers inside at their wits end with their pools. I wait outside for sad customers and hand them a piece of paper with this website on it. If I could get one person to make the switch, it will be worth it. Wish someone would have done it for me 5 years ago.

theresa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.