Metal Metal Metal, and not the music

May 31, 2012
Western, Wisconsin
My fill water has alot of iron and Manganese in it. I have to fill to top off usually once every other week sometimes everywhere due to heavy bathers load and splash out? Trucking water in is not an option as they just fill the truck up the road which is also filled with iron.. When I fill my water turns a greenish tint or gets cloudy. I filled yesterday and poured in PO Team's Metal Magic before filling.. When I awoke this morning my water was still crystal clear. So I figure this is what I am going to have to do when I fill each time. My questions are:

1.. Is this going to harm anything or is there anything I should keep an eye out for adding all this?

2... Is there another way of treating and removing metals, or a cheaper alternative as I can purchase this stuff from 18-20 bucks a bottle, and which over a season is going to add up.

We are drilling a new well later this fall or early next spring which I have been told by our local well drillers by drilling deeper they can get me away from the Manganese issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to tfp, Articfox918 :wave:

I also have a metals problem (mainly iron I think) from my well water. I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't need a sequestering agent to get rid of it. Once I chlorinate, I filter filter filter (took me about 2 weeks when I first filled the pool) to remove the tint (metals) in the water. When I top off from winter, it takes less than a week to filter the metals/tint out. Have you tried that yet? In addition, adding some DE to the sand filter may speed up that process if your metal is like mine and filterable.

Unfortunately, this does not work for everyone.

How much makeup water are you having to add? The amount I have to add (combined with my metals quantity in it) never is enough to tint my water.

Articfox918 said:
When I fill my water turns a greenish tint or gets cloudy.
Cloudyness is not due to metals. It could be high calcium hardness (CH...what is yours?) or algae that would require the shocking process (see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool).

I should reiterate that sorry. The last time I filled I got a greenish tint I also had a CC of 0.5. I did shock and then it was cloudy. I posted that whole process in another thread. I have to fill that often because I have a huge swimmer load and lots of splash out. My pool is swam in everyday by my kids in our neighborhood(the kids tell me that i have the cleanest pool around) :goodjob: THANKS TFP! :whoot: so usually every other week my water level is at the bottom of the skimmer. I have recently made a Tuesday/Wednesday schedule as my day scrub vacuum backwash if needed and fill if needed day/days. this week (yesterday). usually when I fill then test and add bleach the next morning the pool has a slight greenish tint to it, I add metal magic and it usually goes away. This time I added the metal magic before filling the pool and this morning no tint still crystal clear. Now did I just have bad timing the last time with the CC at 0.5 (usually 0)? I test like a maniac more than I probably need to but I hate having to shock so I keep on top of my pool ( my wife still thinks I'm crazy) Or is adding the Metal magic and filling the answer? I am 100% positive no algae! Here are my test results for the last week which have stayed steady except for having to add the chlorine when needed.

water temp 80-82 F
FC = 6.5-7.0
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
CYA = 55
TA = 150
CH = 190
Borates = 50

As far as the amount of makeup water I am adding IDK im raising the water 2-3 inches in my pool sometimes 4 so if I'm doing the math correctly in my head somewhere from 500 gallons and up depending how low water is I'd say a maximum of 4 inches so a 27 ft round pool would be 1400 gallons off the top of my head.

Articfox918 said:
As far as the amount of makeup water I am adding IDK im raising the water 2-3 inches in my pool sometimes 4 so if I'm doing the math correctly in my head somewhere from 500 gallons and up depending how low water is I'd say a maximum of 4 inches so a 27 ft round pool would be 1400 gallons off the top of my head.
If you are doing that every week, that seems like a lot just for splashout. I also get a lot of swimmers daily in mine, I would doubt I loose more than 1 inch/2 weeks from splash out.

Are you sure you do not have a leak?

Usually every other week. But I sometimes top off just to top off when doing thorough cleaning weekly Almost certain no leak because when I am gone for a week, or due to chilly weather the water level stays relatively the same except for maybe some evaporation. And for where my pool sits I would definitely know if I where losing water. Also the pool liner was installed last summer end of July I know however this doesn't prove that I don't so to that note I will perform the bucket test tonight to be 100% sure..

Is water perhaps spilling out of your skimmer cover when the kids are making wave? When we first started using our pool, the wave action sometimes was big enough to cause the skimmer cover to pop off (in additon to water loss). I put a small brick on the cover that keeps it from bumping up when the waves hit and my water loss went down.

Now that I think about my "brick" it is actually on top of my skimmer cover and right below the edge of my resin top rail. If it wasn't partially under the top rail, it would probably still let the cover come off with some of the more severe waves I have seen.

My skimmer plate locks in place but has a small hole in the center of it as a pressure relief. Problem is that I have to keep the water high up on the skimmer in order to vacuum. Add the fact that when my oldest son and I get in the pool it's like throwing two water buffaloes in the water. That little hole then becomes a fountain.

Now I have a filter hose clamped directly to the vacuum plate. The end vacuum hose now sits in the pool connected to the filter hose with a transition piece of hard plastic tube that slides in both hoses. Before, when connected directly to the plate the vacuum hose would suck air if not completely covered by the water in the skimmer.

Saves a lot of water and the skimmer works better. Heavy rains now just make up any evaporation loss and no longer just add to the problem. Keeping chemicals in balance longer is another plus.

linen said:
Now that I think about my "brick" it is actually on top of my skimmer cover and right below the edge of my resin top rail. If it wasn't partially under the top rail, it would probably still let the cover come off with some of the more severe waves I have seen.

Have you thought about weighing your skimmer lid from the underside? Possibly you could glue something to the underside?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harleysilo said:
linen said:

Have you thought about weighing your skimmer lid from the underside? Possibly you could glue something to the underside?
I suppose one could, though it would need to be fairly hefty to hold back the force of the waves that can occur. My "brick" is ideal in my case, since it fits tight between my cover and my top rail.

First you wanna test your Iron Maiden and then liberally add a little Judas Priest and a dash of Black Sabbth, if that dosn't work then just go ahead and add some Deep Purple.

Sorry, couldn't resist :cool:

cramar said:
First you wanna test your Iron Maiden and then liberally add a little Judas Priest and a dash of Black Sabbth, if that dosn't work then just go ahead and add some Deep Purple.

Sorry, couldn't resist :cool:

No problem... Lol good stuff there.. I know I have way too much Metallica in my water :lol:

linen said:
If you are not able to filter out your metal (like I mentioned I am able to do with a little patience), then you will need to continue maintenance dosing with the sequesterant when the tint shows up and/or when you add water.

Have you read this article yet? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

Yes I have read thanks. I guess regular dosing is the answer until the new well gets drilled. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.