Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am a complete idiot...

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

I am a complete idiot...

...or I have a lot on my mind...whatever...

Last night I got home from work late. Noticed that the water level in pool was at the bottom end of operating range, so I put the hose in and turned on the water full blast. It needed about 1/2" additional water. 4 hours later I remembered to turn it off.

The really disturbing part, besides overfilling and water waste, is that the pool didn't overflow as far as I can tell. Where did all that extra water go??? Water level in the pool only got up to the bottom of the coping. The equipment pad area was flooded, so I assume a lot of water exited around the top of skimmer, but could all of it have drained that way? Weird.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: I am a complete idiot...

I did that a few times ... once we had gone to a Birthday party and had to leave to get home and shut off the water (pretty sure it was more than 4 hours) During a remodel, I added an auto-fill to eliminate me as the source of the issue.

Mine also did not overflow. I have a few rocks that are on the coping and the deck goes around them. I think the water was draining around the rocks so it never got up over the deck.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

At least you remembered it after 4 hours. You could have gone to bed and discovered it again at say, 10:00 the next morning.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

western NY

Never did it with the hose but, did it with the heater a couple of times. Worst one was the time I heated to the pool to 105*. Wife and I went to a friends house for a graduation party. She asked me to turn the heater on to warm up the pool a little so she could use it the next day. This was about 1:00 in the afternoon. When we got home from the party a little after midnight I realized that I forgot to turn the heater off. When I pulled the thermometer The water was so hot it scared me at first. So I had an 18' hot tub for a while.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump