new to BBB - ?? re: CH & PhosFree

To linen: thanks for the votes of confidence in my decision(s), at least today's decision to get the correct test. :)

to march2012: I am a she. :)
thanks for the amazon info.. i already ordered the $26 one from http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html I am located just north of Charlotte, NC.

Not sure what cost would be to drain 50% and refill. I certainly wouldn't want to put that pressure on my own well-pump & energy bill, so a filler "service" would be in order for that much H2O. It's hard to get #'s on cost on the web.. i guess i should do some serious calling.

If I did go that way, I guess I'd have to drain 50% into my yard.. (not super keen on that either but.. understand the possibility of the necessity of drain/refill)

march2012 said:
OP, how much is water in your area? how much do you estimate a 50% drain and refill will cost? Where are you located?

Just got my first estimate for replacing "50%" of my water (was quoted 14K gallons which is less than half ).. at $.045/gallon is $630. this is an absolute impossibility for me..

I am anxiously awaiting my FAS-DPD test so I can go ahead and get some Cal-Hypo to get shockin' and start raising my CH (i'm very concerned about this low #)..till then I'm just trying to add bleach to keep my FC up a bit, but not going crazy with bleach cuz I found, since I switched to bleach that my plaster/gunite is definitly not responding well (peeling, etc) in a lot of places near the returns.. not sure if I'm doing more harm than good using bleach, but I'm hoping when I get the CC levels where I need them using CalHypo that I can hold/maintain with less bleach I have been using just to keep the FC up (not knowing the CC issue).

One ?? re: CalHypo when I shock.. since I'll need roughly 14# just to get to shock levels (39), do I add this all at once or do a bit, see where I am, repeat. Since my water is absolutely clear, (but obviously do have stuff in there considering my (1.4CC reading I got yesterday)) is it possible I won't need to bring it all the way up to 39? Also, I'm sure adding the granules will require a backwash when the stuff gathers on my sand/reduces my pressure (i've had AWESOME pressure/jet flow since using liquid and little to no solids thus far)... hope i can maintain decent pressure w/o backwashing my chems outta the pool...

Boy some of you have high water rates! From my faucet, my water cost is 1/2 a cent per gallon. Yep, $0.005. That's at the meter for the pool and irrigation system, so sewer is not included or charged. Sewer rates only apply to the house meter. I guess I should consider us lucky here!

The CalHypo dissolves, it doesn't collect in your filter. You put it in the pool, not in the skimmer.

duraleigh said:
I am late to this thread but your initial result of TH is usually from a test strip. Is that how it was tested? What about your CYA, how was it tested?

Hi duraleigh,
I foolishly was using strips..for too long and then broke out my K-2005 tester yesterday to get my TH level (strips doesnt do), I then took to pool store for testing and they got the same as my k-2005 for TH.

My strips, the K-2005 AND the pool store all resulted in my 100 CYA level.

RobbieH said:
Boy some of you have high water rates! From my faucet, my water cost is 1/2 a cent per gallon. Yep, $0.005. That's at the meter for the pool and irrigation system, so sewer is not included or charged. Sewer rates only apply to the house meter. I guess I should consider us lucky here!

The CalHypo dissolves, it doesn't collect in your filter. You put it in the pool, not in the skimmer.

Yes Robbie, was surprised about that quote.. dunno if I can get it cheaper elsewhere, having trouble finding services in my area. Thanks for the 4-1-1 on the dissolving Calhypo.. I've never used it, andi'm just trying to be prepared.

RobbieH said:
And with a plaster pool, you don't even have to be very picky about it. It will help it dissolve to brush it around, but you don't have to be in a hurry like you would be with vinyl.

That's good to know Robbie.. I have a slight disability that makes me a not-so-great/fast brusher compared to the average bear.
Any one have an opinion on adding all 14# at once or doing a bit at a time?

Hi duraleigh,
I foolishly was using strips..for too long and then broke out my K-2005 tester yesterday to get my TH level (strips doesnt do), I then took to pool store for testing and they got the same as my k-2005 for TH.
TH is from strips and test for total hardness. The K-2005 tests for CH (calcium Hardness, which is far more important) and you shouldn't have gotten the same result from your strips as your CH test in the Taylor K-2005. I have no idea what the pool store tests for but I have learned not to trust anything they tell you.....they simply don't know how to test.

Where I'm going with this is I wouldn't be in such a rush to add CH to your pool......you may not need it. I'll leave it to you to figure out which test you can trust but it is not the pool store and it is not those strips. Is your reagent current in the K-2005?

It's quite possible your calcium is fine. For whatever it's worth, your use of chlorine in the pool has absolutely no affect on your pool plaster. I wish I could tell you why it's delaminating but it's not from chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.