Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump draining, no prime in am.

1. Back To Top    #1

pump draining, no prime in am.

immediatley after shut off the basket area bubbles and starts to drain. Apparently now it is draining to a point where the pump wont prime in the morning for start up,(the water in the "basket" is halfway or below the lower hole) i add water and bam it primes.
    After shut off i can hear it draining in my heat pump and gurgurling in the filter

replaced top cover gasket and greased the in and out gaskets on the pump unions.
    I am not seeing any water laying on the pad.

I have been chasing a leak in the pool. I eliminated the skimmer and returns by overnight plugging. So my water level is low and I am NOT using the skimmer right now , only the main drain. (have not closed that up yet to chk for the leak)

could the pump have a bad seal inside with a slow overnight leak?
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump draining, no prime in am.

What kind of filter do you have? Did you try opening the air bleed valve if the filter has one? Are you seeing water around the pump? Do you have a check valve between the filter and the heater?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You have a suction side leak. Somewhere between the skimmer and the pump you are sucking in air. Find that leak and the pump will hold prime and you will see/hear no more bubbles.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Given that your water level is low, that's part of the problem, but if there were absolutely no leaks in the plumbing the pump basket would stay full and it would prime right off. do you have any leaks anywhere in your plumbing that you know of?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    What kind of filter do you have? Did you try opening the air bleed valve if the filter has one? Are you seeing water around the pump? Do you have a check valve between the filter and the heater?
    sand filter, no bleed valve or check valve... I am going to make sure the area around the pump is totally dry tonight and look in the am.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You have a suction side leak. Somewhere between the skimmer and the pump you are sucking in air. Find that leak and the pump will hold prime and you will see/hear no more bubbles.
    skimmer is off right now. leak between main drain and pump maybe? HOWEVER ( and i know you cringe at this) Right now i am sucking from my returns and returning through the main drain and i still have many air bubbles in the basket. Did this to try to eliminate a suction leak in main drain line

i will have to try to look closer at the equipment pad for water i guess.
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Given that your water level is low, that's part of the problem, but if there were absolutely no leaks in the plumbing the pump basket would stay full and it would prime right off. do you have any leaks anywhere in your plumbing that you know of?
    may be a small leak at the heat pump intake, also wanted to check that tonight ( very low to ground)
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like you may have several leaks in different places. Just tackle them one at a time until you get them all fixed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you checked the pump basket gasket and made sure it's nicely lubed up? The fact that you're taking it off every day makes me suspect that first.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Took compressed air line out to the pad to clear water from heat pump condensation...

long story short, missing O ring on one of the pump drains. Fired it up and so far the basket is holding the water

thanks for your answers
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump