Greenish Tint Backwash Brown with Brown Stains on Steps

Jun 2, 2012
I have a 30,000 Gal. Liner pool. I opened a swamp 4 weeks ago. Shocked the pool to kill algee. The water cleared in about a week yet it was not holding chlorine. So I found this site and saw my CYA was real high. I did several partial drain and fills getting the CYA down to 78ppm. Shocked with 3 96oz containers of walmart bleach. That made the water greenish yet clear along with some brown stains. I then went to walmart since I do not live near a pool store and I wanted this cleared up quickly. (HA HA) I purchased 3 qts of Aquachem Scale Metal & Stain Control added to the pool and it cleared up the next day. Well three days later the same problem this time the stains seem worse. Took a sample to the pool store and spent $70.00 on Phosphate Remover they said my Phosphates were 1000 ppb. Added phosphate remover that made the pool cloudy and did not clear up my problem. I noticed my Calcium Hardness was low so I added Calcium Chloride. The next day water looked clearer with brown residue on the bottom and staining slightly clear. So I vacuumed the brown residue to waste and backwashed the sand filter (very brown water came out). So today I woke up and again brown residue on bottom and backwashed, not as brown. Water still has a greenish tint.

The pool store said no metal in water. I tested stain on steps with Vit. C and it took the stain away. Left a 3" tablet sit on steps for 24 hrs no change.

PH 7.3
ALK 80
CL holding at 3.0
al Hardness 110

Welcome to tfp, dmatullos :wave:

dmatullos said:
The pool store said no metal in water. I tested stain on steps with Vit. C and it took the stain away.
I think you are suggesting/know this already...pool store wrong again :hammer:

If you haven't, read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

As you now know, pool store testing is unreliable. Time to get yourself and appropriate test kit, see the link in my sig. I like the TF-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.