green pool..repost to the proper board....

FC/CC question and green pool question........

Good afternoon, I am hoping I can get some help with my pool issues and chemistry question. Our pool is a 100,000 L in-ground vinyl lined pool with a Zodiac SWG. I own a K2006 Taylor test kit. 2 weeks ago when we opened the pool it was green so I read up on the Pool School, went out and bought a bunch of chlorine and started my day. My cya level was 0 so I added 2.5 kg stabilizer 3/4 days previous to adding chlorine. I then shocked it up to 25 based on my cya level(or what I thought it was) and it started to turn....yippeee!! I continued to add until I thought it was holding, but it never seemed to stop being cloudy. Should I have kept on adding to the 25 even for days on end?
I finally took a water sample into the pool store and the only thing out was the cya level which they said was 100 although it seemed to be 60 on my test kit. If the cya level was truly 100 then I didn't add enough chlorine correct?
So skip forward to this week, the pool is turning green again although I can see the shallow end now which I could not before. Tomorrow I will go out and buy some more chlorine and restart the process. But before I do I wanted to try and get my ducks in a row so to speak.....
When testing the water I never seem to be able to get a CC number. I followed the directions on the kit and it never seems to turn pink when I add the 5 drops of R-0003. What could I be doing wrong?

My levels were
11.5 FC(I added 20 L yesterday morning)
Ph 7.6
TA 120
cya- 50(according to my kit)

I haven't added any salt yet as I don't want to waste my money, beings I had to drain some of the pool to try and get the stabilizer level down.
And one last comment that is perplexing me......When I test at home my FC level was still 10 when I took the sample into the store, they said it was 4....does anyone know why the discrepancy, I knew it would be higher as I was following the program.....
Any help would be much appreciated, sorry to ramble on so long but I wanted to include as much info as possible. I am going to order some more stabilzer refills and am hoping that will solve maybe part of my problem.
Thanks so much for listening!!
Leanne :cheers:

Re: FC/CC question and green pool question........

Leanne,

By far your biggest issue is not trusting your own testing. Stay out of the Pool Store. If you keep reading on here you will read perhaps thousands of posts of the pool store's inability to test accurately. Let me say it once more....stay out of the poolstore.

Now that that's out of the way :lol: , please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You seem to have a working knowledge but a little review is good. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool". This one is VERY important in that it will show you how you must do several things all at once to complete the shock process and get your pool crystal clear.

Stock up on bleach, read the stuff in PoolSchool and post back lot's of questions....everyone will help.

PS - nothing wrong with your CC's test.....you simply don't have any CC's.

leannedarling said:
I continued to add until I thought it was holding, but it never seemed to stop being cloudy. Should I have kept on adding to the 25 even for days on end?
Yes!! Hold that 25 level until you pass all three criteria -see Bama's signature. It will take, at minimum, several days, but probably more.

so this morning I adjusted my ph to 7.2 and added enough chlorine to take it to a shock level of 25(it actually was about 28 I think) I have checked and now my level is at 26 after an hour, so I will test again in an hour and see what happens and wait to add more.........

Thanks Dave, I have been reading some other `swamp issues` and figured as much, only thing is I am running low on reagent and there seemed to be a screw up when I ordered. If I do run out I will just go by what I have added and hope the mail is not too slow!!
Off to brush........

That's one of the reasons we recommend the TF-100 over the K-2006. The TF-100 has a lot more of the reagents you actually use maintaining a pool. Of course, it appears that you're not in the U.S. so the TF-100 isn't available to you. You can buy the large version. The R-0871C is the large container, and get two containers of R-0870.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We added more chlorine last night, didn't do a test as I had only enough reagent for 1 more test and I thought i would leave it till this morning. Tested this a.m and it was at 30....guess I added a bit more chlorine than I thought last night. The pool seems to be clearing but still algae on the sides(a little) and green in colour. I vacuumed to waste what I could see, gave it a brush and did not add any more chlorine. I am out of reagent now so will have have to just add what I think based on my previous tests. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow!!

Merged your topics into the Algae area. JasonLion

I had first posted to the Balancing board as I had a "chemistry question" along with a green pool. That was on Monday, I started the shocking process but then ran out of reagents on Tuesday night, placed an order and they are supposedly on their way.....Yesterday the pool was looking clearer but still green, I thought I could see the deep end, but I think it was just wishful thinking. It has never turned a milky white colour. I was keeping it at a shock level of 25(my cya was 50-60) and adding when necessary. When I ran out I thought I had a pretty good handle on how much to add. I went out this morning and it is certainly no clearer and still green. There is still the algae that dusts when I weep it. I brush twice a day and vacuum. I don't think I have debris in the pool to any degree. I have checked around the light and steps and don't see any gunk. This is the 4th day and I would have expected a bit more improvement. I am at a loss of what to do and how much chlorine to add. I was adding 20 L a day(4.4 G), yep I'm a Canuck!! When I was testing it was holding for a good 4 hours. My CC level has always been 0(which I never understood if I am fighting algae)
I am on my way to get chlorine now and I'm guessing I will start anew, ugh.

I would like to post a picture but am unsure how to do it, is there instructions somewhere?

Yea my refills came in!!
Here are the levels
FC 27
CC 1
Ph 7.4
CYA 48
TA-not sure the sample turned yellow?
CH 500+ (we live in an area of extremely hard water)
My husband came home after a night away and says it looks clearer, so I guess I wasn't being patient enough!
My FC is high enough so I didn't bother adding any chlorine, but when adding the powder I had to add more than 2 scoops...that's not happened before and i did it twice. When I added the 3rd scoop it went to pink.
Does anyone know what is up with the TA sample, I did it twice and the same thing happened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.