Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing Question

I have read in Pool School that CYA may not show up in testing until a week or so after adding.
    Is this only if you slowly dump it into the skimmer allowing it to dissolve in the filter or is it true even if you dissolve it with the skimmer sock method?

Thanks
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Testing Question

Yes, this is true even if you use the sock method. One week is the worst case time, usually it is a couple of days. But it is best to wait the full week just in case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Glock30:

When you pour dry CYA directly into the skimmer, much of the dissolving will take place within the filter.

When I add CYA, I use the sock-in-the-skimmer method. Much of the dissolving takes place within the sock (although I give the sock an occasional squeeze to help things along). When I squeeze the sock and no cloudy residue appears, then I know that my dose of stabilizer has been added. I have re-tested within 2-3 days of the sock being empty and my CYA has increased to what I was targeting. Subsequent confirmation testing has revealed that it has held steady. However, the total elapsed time from first placing the CYA-laden sock into the skimmer and testing is still about 5-7 days. So using either application method, 5-7 days from first adding the CYA to testing for it is a good rule of thumb.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all,
    Bo-I also use the sock in skimmer method.
    Wife is happy i am finding a use for my old socks.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.