CYA Testing Question

Glock30

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I have read in Pool School that CYA may not show up in testing until a week or so after adding.
Is this only if you slowly dump it into the skimmer allowing it to dissolve in the filter or is it true even if you dissolve it with the skimmer sock method?

Thanks

Hi Glock30:

When you pour dry CYA directly into the skimmer, much of the dissolving will take place within the filter.

When I add CYA, I use the sock-in-the-skimmer method. Much of the dissolving takes place within the sock (although I give the sock an occasional squeeze to help things along). When I squeeze the sock and no cloudy residue appears, then I know that my dose of stabilizer has been added. I have re-tested within 2-3 days of the sock being empty and my CYA has increased to what I was targeting. Subsequent confirmation testing has revealed that it has held steady. However, the total elapsed time from first placing the CYA-laden sock into the skimmer and testing is still about 5-7 days. So using either application method, 5-7 days from first adding the CYA to testing for it is a good rule of thumb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.