Max "overhang" for concrete pool deck (vinyl pool)

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I've had some issues with the concrete deck near my diving board. It was installed with a sonotube to offer extra support but it appears that because of it the concrete was lifting with the frost thus it cracked pretty badly. The poolbuilder offered to fix this and work is now in progress as shown in the 1st picture. I however have some concerns with the amount of concrete that will have to be supported by the pool "brackets" (seen in the 2nd picture, before their base was covered in concrete): can they really handle ~4 ft wide of concrete? They are made to take the weight of the deck (my deck is 36") but I've got certain concerns.

The new concrete guy working with that pool builder seems to know his stuff way better than the guy who did my pour and he says that a sonotube would only make things worse (ie: as what happened in the 1st place) but all I see is a big cantilever and I'm concerned that it may cause the pool wall to deform.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20090925-DSC_0113.JPG
    20090925-DSC_0113.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG-20120613-00017.jpg
    IMG-20120613-00017.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 184
The concrete will be supported by the dirt under the concrete, not by the brackets which support the wall. If there was going to be a problem with the brackets interacting with the concrete it would have already happened around the rest of the pool.

Woops, I've just realized that my reply never made it. THanks for the info Jason, I thought that the deck was mostly supported by the brackets since they are called "deck support" when you look at the Kafko litterature (My pool isn't kafko but similar)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.