Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Lewiston Idaho

New Pump

Hi All,

Ordering a new pump motor tomorrow. The old one is making more and more noise.I have a 1 1/2 hp Sta-rite pump. I also run a caretaker system and am thinking of just replacing the pump with a EE unit.

Is there a big advantage to getting a 2 speed motor? I have searched and read threads and end up confused. I am running a timer and have the filter running two 4 hr shifts. Keeps the pool pretty clean. We are dropping a large pine tree in a few days which should really cut down on pool debris.

We are in a area with pretty reasonable electricity rates. around .08 per KWH.

With the caretaker system will a 2 speed with the lower rpm work?

Any recommendations on a place to order or to avoid?

18,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool. Sta-rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II pump 1 1/2hp motor, Caretaker pool cleaner, Teledyne LAARS series 2 ESC natural gas heater 250,000 BTU. Solar Pool cover, Intermatic Timer with heater switch. Two very happy kids!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Pump

There is normally a large savings in electricity when you get a two speed pump. However, the caretaker system will not work on low speed, so you can only take advantage of the savings of low speed when not using the in floor cleaning system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School