LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, here are my #'s PH has been to 8 at one point but has been holding at 7.8 for about 10 days, we had a lot of rain and my pool took on probably 6-8 inches of rain where it is draining out the skimmer cover. I am going to backwash about an inch or so because the bugs are not getting pulled into the skimmer since the level is flush with the top of the skimmer. I am not sure if I should Aerate or acid or add PH Down I have from EZ Clor I think it was.

FC 2 adding 6% tonight to bring to 7, did not add for 2 days, but did a overnight test a few days back and had no loss
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 210
CYA 90

Pool is clear
Thanks

Drain it down to where you want it. Add whatever amount of acid pool calculator says to use to get it to 7.4. pH down is just a dry acid, if you already have it, use that.

pH will climb again eventually, no reason to spend a lot of time messing with things if your pH holds steady.

So I added dry acid (PH Down) and 112 0z 6%. I did not check last night

Today CL 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.5 down from 7.8
TA 90, this dropped from 110?
CYA 120???

If I do a CYA test straight I get like 90, I mixed 50% pool water and got 120, store over last few weeks had 90 one week and 50 3 days later. The 90 vs 120, should I just call it 105? I don't get it, other than PH down EZ Clor, I have been just adding straight 6%.

Has anyone ever seen troublesome CYA, this sounds stupid but when I take water out of the pool it is coming from the top, I would think it is consistent provided it circulates. We have had a lot of rain, and I do notice a slight thermocline about a foot down, I take the sample away from the return where I add chemicals about a foot down.

Thanks

If you are using the standard black dot CYA test it is likely that your CYA level is very very high. That test will report any CYA level over 100 as if it was 100, and it isn't all that difficult to misread 100 as 90, or 120.

The pool water will mix through with only a small amount of pump run time, and stay mixed after that. Some temperature variation with depth is to be expected.

So roughly 4 weeks later and 2 popped hoses finally CYA is trending down, not sure why it keeps popping other than pressure but I double clamped it. My numbers are coming into check. I am having a kid party this weekend with 12 kids should I shock before and after.

Pool Sparkly Clear with 12.5% chlorine liquid, now I have ripples forming in liner in 3rd season on wall and floor? Should I worry

cl 5
cc 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 180 maybe a little low?
CYA 80

Thanks

rjg202 said:
cl 5 This should be between 6 and 11 and never below 6!
cc 0 Perfect
PH 7.5 Perfect
TA 100 Fine
CH 180 maybe a little low? Don't worry about having low CH in a vinyl pool.
CYA 80 Still high, as you know.

A couple hours before the party, I suggest you bring the pool to about 20 ppm FC, which is about half way to shock level. You should also test and adjust after the party.

Thanks

After Testing I put 24 ounces of 12.5% in. I calculate my chlorine to be between 7-9. So if I take it to 20 ppm, is that safe? How high is considered safe? As for CYA it has been a battle, I am still draining and filling maybe 4-6 inches every few days so I don't take the pool out of service.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.