Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I mess with PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I mess with PH

Ok, here are my #'s PH has been to 8 at one point but has been holding at 7.8 for about 10 days, we had a lot of rain and my pool took on probably 6-8 inches of rain where it is draining out the skimmer cover. I am going to backwash about an inch or so because the bugs are not getting pulled into the skimmer since the level is flush with the top of the skimmer. I am not sure if I should Aerate or acid or add PH Down I have from EZ Clor I think it was.

FC 2 adding 6% tonight to bring to 7, did not add for 2 days, but did a overnight test a few days back and had no loss
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 110
    CH 210
    CYA 90

Pool is clear
    Thanks
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I mess with PH

Drain it down to where you want it. Add whatever amount of acid pool calculator says to use to get it to 7.4. pH down is just a dry acid, if you already have it, use that.

pH will climb again eventually, no reason to spend a lot of time messing with things if your pH holds steady.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

So I added dry acid (PH Down) and 112 0z 6%. I did not check last night

Today CL 5.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5 down from 7.8
    TA 90, this dropped from 110?
    CYA 120???

If I do a CYA test straight I get like 90, I mixed 50% pool water and got 120, store over last few weeks had 90 one week and 50 3 days later. The 90 vs 120, should I just call it 105? I don't get it, other than PH down EZ Clor, I have been just adding straight 6%.

Has anyone ever seen troublesome CYA, this sounds stupid but when I take water out of the pool it is coming from the top, I would think it is consistent provided it circulates. We have had a lot of rain, and I do notice a slight thermocline about a foot down, I take the sample away from the return where I add chemicals about a foot down.

Thanks
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are using the standard black dot CYA test it is likely that your CYA level is very very high. That test will report any CYA level over 100 as if it was 100, and it isn't all that difficult to misread 100 as 90, or 120.

The pool water will mix through with only a small amount of pump run time, and stay mixed after that. Some temperature variation with depth is to be expected.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So roughly 4 weeks later and 2 popped hoses finally CYA is trending down, not sure why it keeps popping other than pressure but I double clamped it. My numbers are coming into check. I am having a kid party this weekend with 12 kids should I shock before and after.

Pool Sparkly Clear with 12.5% chlorine liquid, now I have ripples forming in liner in 3rd season on wall and floor? Should I worry

cl 5
    cc 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 180 maybe a little low?
    CYA 80

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Vinyl pools don't care if CH is low - there's no Calcium in the walls to leach out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rjg202
    cl 5 This should be between 6 and 11 and never below 6!
    cc 0 Perfect
    PH 7.5 Perfect
    TA 100 Fine
    CH 180 maybe a little low? Don't worry about having low CH in a vinyl pool.
    CYA 80 Still high, as you know.

A couple hours before the party, I suggest you bring the pool to about 20 ppm FC, which is about half way to shock level. You should also test and adjust after the party.

Thanks
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

After Testing I put 24 ounces of 12.5% in. I calculate my chlorine to be between 7-9. So if I take it to 20 ppm, is that safe? How high is considered safe? As for CYA it has been a battle, I am still draining and filling maybe 4-6 inches every few days so I don't take the pool out of service.

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Up to shock level is safe for swimming, so long as the water is clear, and your PH is in reasonable range.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, 20 FC is no problem. Click the link to the Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig.

You would be nowhere near shock level of 31ish, which is fine to swim.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!