Need help on building raised foundation for IntexUltra Frame

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,
We finally broke ground to set up our brand spankin' Intex Ultra Frame 9 X 18 pool. We were so excited! :lol:
However, we ran into some problems, call tree roots! We tried to dig out the tree roots, but they were greater in number and bigger than us! :cry:

So, now, we want to try to build a raised bed to put the pool on top of.
I've done some surfing online and searched on this board, but didn't find a specific plan that would fit our needs.

So, we would welcome any advice or suggestions. The more specific, the better. :goodjob:

Many thanks!

Liz :wave:

Re: Need help on building raised foundation for IntexUltra F

No reason it couldn't work as long as you consider the load that will be on it. I forget the weight per gallon, but a pool that size is going to be some weight. I've thought about doing the same thing when we change to a rectangle intex next season. If you get a plan or start construction, please post pics!

PhilGillis said:
No reason it couldn't work as long as you consider the load that will be on it. I forget the weight per gallon, but a pool that size is going to be some weight. I've thought about doing the same thing when we change to a rectangle intex next season. If you get a plan or start construction, please post pics!

Thanks! That encouraging! :goodjob:

I will share whatever we end up doing, and hopefully have some pictures too.

What size intex will you be looking at?

Cheers,

I don't know how much you need to raise your site to level it, but there are options.

Read thru my project thread here: new-to-site-and-new-pool-project-starting-this-year-t45291.html

I am using clay for the main base, (raising 4+ feet in some areas), and then screenings for the final level.

Most quarries have the screenings,and they are usually cheaper than anything else you can get.

Depending on how much you need to raise will determine what you need to use, but be aware, in our case raising as high as we are going requires some pretty heavy equipment, and both the clay and the screenings have to be compacted, compacted, compacted and compacted some more, it is a long draw out process, we are going on 2.5 to 3 months working on ours now.

If you only need to go a few inches build a border using landscape timbers and level with the screenings.

Be aware, the screenings will pack better and settle less than sand, however if you do not enclose it and get a big rain it WILL wash out in time.

A 52" deep pool is 1.53 PSI on the bottom of the pool, (liner area), I have not been able to calculate the pressure the supports carry, but it is more than the bottom anyway, I am guessing around 10 to 25 PSI.

Hi Samantha,

Your pool build is impressive! I really enjoyed seeing it develop through the pictures you posted! :goodjob:

Samantha Sabrina said:
If you only need to go a few inches build a border using landscape timbers and level with the screenings.

I think we only need to build up to 4 inches. I'll look into the screenings. I think there is a quarry not far from us. :party:

Thanks for the great ideas and the inspiration! :whoot:

I'm looking forward to losing some pounds on our build too!

Cheers,

+1 on the screenings for that much build up. Though for a round pool I would suggest using metal landscape edging....... although a round pool on a square or hex- or octagon built out of timbers might look really cool!!!! :cheers:

If you only need to raise 4" or so, then I would suggest digging the high end down maybe an inch or 2, then use the timbers, (most are 3 3/4" high), and then fill with the screenings and level.

On Edit: Ooops, I forgot you were looking for another way because of the roots, lol, just build up 2 ties high, and then fill, we are driving 2' long rebar thru the bottom layer, (2 per timber), then using long outdoor screws to hold the top layer on, (will be filling the holes for the screws with silicone caulking), the biggest amount of work is getting the timbers level and square.

BTW, around here the quarries all get like $2.50/ton for the screenings, but have a min purchase of $20.00, so getting a pickup load will cost you $20.00, where a dump truck 16 tons would cost you like $40.00 plus trucking, big thing is trust me on this one, 16 tons of screenings WILL go a longgggggggggggg way, lol.

We were starting to think we would have more than enough for our project, but after finding out the one corner & side are not as close as we thought we are going to have to get another truck load, (but we have already figured out what to do with the extra, lol), nice thing about what we are using is that it is coming from a local Lime factory, and the guy hauling it works there so he gets it for free, he is basically only charging us for the trucking, $85.00 for a tandem truck load, 16 tons or so.

As for the weight loss program, yea it works great, but there is a down side, (at least for me), if we get too worn out, too hot, or it rains us out for a couple of days whatever I manage to loos in a week of busting my backside, I put right back on in 2 days... :grrrr: :rant: , lol.

Good luck with your project and hope it all goes well for you, BTW, we DO expect pictures, pictures, and more pictures.. :whoot:

crumtastic said:
+1 on the screenings for that much build up. Though for a round pool I would suggest using metal landscape edging....... although a round pool on a square or hex- or octagon built out of timbers might look really cool!!!! :cheers:

Check out our project, it does look pretty good, so far anyway, lol.

Hi Samantha,

Wow, thanks for the great instructions.

Samantha Sabrina said:
just build up 2 ties high, and then fill, we are driving 2' long rebar thru the bottom layer, (2 per timber), then using long outdoor screws to hold the top layer on, (will be filling the holes for the screws with silicone caulking), the biggest amount of work is getting the timbers level and square.
You can't imagine how helpful this is! I can understand what you are saying. :goodjob:

What kind of wood are the timbers?

I'm such an egghead that I need a DIY dictionary to translate most stuff I read online. :hammer:

Samantha Sabrina said:
I am using clay for the main base, (raising 4+ feet in some areas), and then screenings for the final level.
We should send you some soil from our backyard. It's all clay! Too bad you are so far away! (We're in CA).

But seriously, I think we have a good place to start from now. I was getting so bummed about the whole thing. But I'm inspired by the hard work and persistence you guys are doing. We should have started earlier in the Season like you did. :party:

I'll keep a look out on your post to see how it is going. I plan on putting up pictures. I was going today, but it was 104 outside. :grrrr:

Cheers,

Hi Crumtastic,

crumtastic said:
+1 on the screenings for that much build up. Though for a round pool I would suggest using metal landscape edging....... although a round pool on a square or hex- or octagon built out of timbers might look really cool!!!!

That would look cool! :whoot:

I will look into the metal landscaping edging.

Luckily, our pool is rectangular. It's the only size Intex (9 x 18) that will fit in our little backyard.

Cheers,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

nelson411 said:
What kind of wood are the timbers?
The timbers are just the pressure treated landscape timbers found at Lowes and Home Depot, if you watch you can catch them on sale for like $2.98 each, regular price, (around here anyway), is about $3.98 I think, they are supposed to be 3" x 4", (actual is 2.75" x 3.75"), with 2 flat sides and 2 rounded sides, you have to be very careful when you go pick them out though, we had to dig thru 2 whole stacks at HD to get 20 good straight non-twisted.

I'm such an egghead that I need a DIY dictionary to translate most stuff I read online. :hammer:
Well that is what this forum is all about, helping others. :)

We should send you some soil from our backyard. It's all clay! Too bad you are so far away! (We're in CA)..
LOL, we have plenty of clay, anything below 6" max is either clay or limestone, clay is usually about 3-4 foot deep before you get to the rock.

But seriously, I think we have a good place to start from now. I was getting so bummed about the whole thing. But I'm inspired by the hard work and persistence you guys are doing. We should have started earlier in the Season like you did. :party:
Thanks, we are working on it, and even though it is labor intensive it really is a no brainer, no need getting worked up over it, we are all here to help and answer any questions you might have, and help you get through it.

With the mild winter we had this year we should have started a couple of months earlier too, but oh well, do what we can when we can, lol.

I'll keep a look out on your post to see how it is going. I plan on putting up pictures. I was going today, but it was 104 outside. :grrrr:
Thanks again, I hope someone gets some useful info from our thread, I know I tend to rattle on sometimes, but I like to be as detailed as possible, and avoid any confusion. Yes we want pictures, and more pictures. :whoot:

Also we are going to put something like garden edging around the base of our pool when we get ready to put the stone between the timbers and the pool, (keep the stones away from the pool liner), I found it on HD website, I don't want to use any kind of metal anywhere close to the pool, what metal comes with the pool will be enough to worry about as it is, lol

I completely understand the heat, it has been in the upper 90s here already, and sounds like again this week, ( will post the rest of my comment on this subject to our thread).

Please let me know if I can help Liz.

:cheers:

Liz,

I forgot to tell ya, when you get the landscape timbers home, make sure you put them someplace cool and dry, or stack them up on some older 2x4s or something, keep them as level as possible and covered, (until you are ready to use them), the hot sun will make them do all kinds of goofy things, and if they get wet and then the hot sun hits them they will really get out of whack.

They will be fine once they are staked down and screwed together with the screenings behind them.

Hi Samantha,:)
Thanks again for your help. I'll try to put up a pic.

This is the spot for the pool. It's about 12' x 25'. You can see where we dug up the ground. Our dogs are thrilled to have a bigger potty now.

Cheers,
Liz
c6e4d550-8eda-6eee.jpg

c6e4d550-8f03-946c.jpg

c6e4d550-8f1e-3d6f.jpg

Some of the roots We dug up before We gave up!:shock:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339788749039.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339788749039.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 453

Liz,

All I can say is WOW, you have some roots there. :shock:

You are gonna have to get an axe in there, with all those roots if you try to build on top of them I am afraid they are going to cause you some real problems down the road.

I know that is the last thing you wanted to hear, but ya have to do what ya have to do.

Other than the roots your site looks pretty good, :)

Hi Samantha!

Samantha Sabrina said:
Liz, I forgot to tell ya, when you get the landscape timbers home, make sure you put them someplace cool and dry, or stack them up on some older 2x4s or something, keep them as level as possible and covered, (until you are ready to use them), the hot sun will make them do all kinds of goofy things, and if they get wet and then the hot sun hits them they will really get out of whack. They will be fine once they are staked down and screwed together with the screenings behind them.

Good to know. We can put them in the garage.

Samantha Sabrina said:
All I can say is WOW, you have some roots there. You are gonna have to get an axe in there, with all those roots if you try to build on top of them I am afraid they are going to cause you some real problems down the road.
I know that is the last thing you wanted to hear, but ya have to do what ya have to do.

Well, I'd rather know now that find it out later when it's a problem. Don't worry, I won't kill the messenger!

I'm happy the site looks good, otherwise. Rocky, our dog, is not happy, but he loves to dig, so he can help dig out the roots!

Cheers,

Hi Harleysilo,
harleysilo said:
Do you want that tree to stay?
Good question! :goodjob:
Probably not. The figs are terrible, and it blocks the sun from the pool area. I figured we have "killed" it already by digging up so many roots near the tree. It will be a matter of time before it meets it's demise.... :twisted:
Cheers, :wave:
Liz

I have a Intex Ultra Frame 16' x 52" pool. This solution may be a little late but here is anyways.
My ground sloped downward over 14" from one end to the other where I wanted to put the pool and I did not want to dig out and level the ground (too hot in Alabama to do this by shovel, too costly for a backhoe).
Solution:
1. Determine what the slope of my ground was.
2. Went to Lowes and bought outdoor decking boards.
3. Put ground landscaping cloth in the area where the deck frame would go so no ground vegetation would grow up through the deck.
4. Constructed a sloped/tapered frame and bolted the sides together with large, long galvanized lag screws.
5. Pounded into the ground, steel rods in order to provide additonal frame wall support.
6. Cut and screwed on top deck boards diagonally at the corners of the frame. Used enough boards so that a large 16' diameter circle could be cut. The 16' circle is the diameter of the pool and would allow the pool to recess into the hole opening.
7. Filled in the frame with sand.
8. Purchased foam pipe insulation and glued it to the top deck boards around the circumference of the cut circle.
9. Recent years I have installed the blue plastic Intex ground tarp supplied with the pool to the deck using plastic cap roofing nails where the tarp draped over the frame.
10. Setup pool ensuring that is recesses into the cutout deck circle.

Attachments

• IMG_1642A.jpg
    IMG_1642A.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_1644A.jpg
    IMG_1644A.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Storm Shelter Locations Looking East.jpg
    Storm Shelter Locations Looking East.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 272

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.