Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to cover above-ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often to cover above-ground pool?

Hi, I'm new to the boards and new to pools. Unfortunately, I found your site AFTER we had the pool up and going, so I feel like I've been playing catch up.

Anyway, we have an Intex Easy-Set 12' x 36" and a very simple vinyl cover with a drawstring. I was wondering how often I should cover the pool? Right now, I've been covering it before nighttime or leaving it covered if the pool wasn't used that day. Too much? Not enough? Does it matter?

Thanks!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often to cover above-ground pool?

Really up to you and may depend where you live. Pluses on leaving it covered are: less of a chlorine drop from the sun, a bit less debris in the pool, heat is kept in. Minuses- pump does a better job cleaning when it's off and it's easier to jump in.

I'm trying to get my pool temp up to 80 so I leave the cover on unless swimming. Once there I will adjust to maintain that temp and not get too high. This may mean only cover at night or only cover during the day (to not lose chlorine) or never cover. I'll have to try things as I go because every year is different.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How often to cover above-ground pool?

Well, ok. Living in Arkansas, warm water isn't a problem. I guess I'll just keep it covered when not in use.
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit