new intex sand filter loss of suction

Jun 13, 2012
I just purchased an intex SF20110 sand filter this year and it seems to loose suction/prime when I try and use the surface skimmer. I also have had a dickens of a time keeping prime while vacumning it. Any suggestions? I hate not to use the surface skimmer as it does seem to do a very good job keeping the bugs / debris and such off the top of the pool water.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Did you make sure that the skimmer is well below the water? You don't want it forming a vortex as it will suck air. On the vacuum make sure that all the air is out of the hose by placing the end over the return to force all air from the hose prior to connecting it.

Remember to unscrew the skimmer hose adapter from the intake now and then as things that make it past the skimmer will sometimes clog the intake screen.

thanks for the advise, the skimmer is well below the water, and I did make sure there was no air in the vacumn line. I can get it to start off very well, but then it seems as if the filter is too strong almost and not able to draw in water fast enough, so it looses prime. If I remove the surface skimmer from the eqation it works fine, the preasure stays in the green section on the dial, but with it hooked up or durring vacumning it has almost no pressure.

I am having this same issue however I have not found a broken seal and can't figure out what the issue is to save my life! I have watched and re watched the installation video and at one point it says to remove the grid cover from the outlet connector but my outlet connector appears to be one solid piece.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.