Can I Add a seperate hot tub with an overflow feature?

rm1759

May 11, 2012
I am planning a new pool build, and am waffling on the hot tub/spa selection.

Looking at what's available, it seems like the self-contained spas are about the same price as having my pb install a spill-over spa.

I live in S. florida, and will only use spa heat during the winter. the spa will be used as the "adult pool" while the kids are splashing in the main pool.

I like the seperate hot tubs because they have more jets (I am interested in the therapeutic aspect of this). from what I read, maintaining water chemistry is not that difficult.

The question I really have is that I do like the asthetics of the spillover spa, I intend on building a surround for the hot tub(with an access panel) with a stacked stone look to match the rest of the yard, then I thought I could purchase a small waterfall feature on the side of the hot tub, plumbed in with the main pool. the waterfall would flow down a short "river" into the pool.

After thinking about this some more, I also had the idea that it would not be too difficult to put a 3 way valve on the water fall feature, and actually allow it to waterfall into the hot tub, and plumb the drain to empty into the "river" area, therefore allowing me to cycle the water in the hot tub.

So, I have two questions:

1) is this "river" idea a bad one? the only drawback I can think of is that it will add more dirt to the pool every time I turn it on (or when it rains).
2) Is it possible to plumb the hot tub in with the pool like I mentioned above? wouldn't that make maintaining chemistry easier?

Creating the visual illusion of a shared pool/spa system when they are actually independent is easy. But if you are going to have an actual shared system you shouldn't plumb it the way you propose. There are ways to convert a stock spa into the spa portion of a shared pool/spa setup, but they are rather more involved that what you are talking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.