Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What happens when water drops below skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

What happens when water drops below skimmers

I wanted to know what type of pump damage to expect when the water level drops below the skimmer level? The reason I ask is that the other day a pipe broke and was leaking water all day long. I didnít notice until I came home from work, and by then, the water level was just BARELY above the skimmer line. A few more minutes and the water level would have dropped below the skimmers.
    My pool has two surface skimmers and a bottom drain. I have float valves but I donít know what good they will do since the bottom drain runs off one of the skimmers.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: What happens when water drops below skimmers

When the water gets too low the pump will lose prime. After running for a while without prime the pump will get very hot and the plastic will start to deform. Given a while it deforms enough to destroy the pump. Many automation systems have a feature to shutdown the pump after some amount of time without water flow to protect against this risk.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School