First time poster here. I've owned my pool since 2003 with relatively few problems other than a fairly consistent inability to hold Cl over the years. Just went through a number of Pool School articles (fantastic resource). I've spent money on phosphate removal treatments (needlessly apparently) only to have the phosphates reappear. My reading at the local pool store yesterday was 5000+ (The test maxes out at that level. From what I have learned here, that's no big deal, though I did make the mistake of buying into the phosphate removal thing one more time, so I'll finish using what I've got.
When I went in for water test, the tester strongly recommended Supreme Pro Plus as a way to help control the algae. I bought 45 pounds which may put me on the light side of ideal for a 24,000 pool, but going forward, I'll do the Borax/MA combo instead. (Learned about that after I bought the product).
In the past the phosphate remover has helped in that I've noticed a noticeable difference in the ability to hold Cl--until the phosphates rebuild.
So, before I get started on the rebalance, I thought I'd post the pool store's test results (ordered the TF-100 test kit today though) and get some guidance. I have a SWG though the cell is 6 years old. i may be living on borrowed time, but it seems clean when I inspect it and only use the pool from mid-May through Sept).
FC=0.1 (I knew that from test drops so I shocked it after I took the sample. Higher now, but I have not tested today.)
CC= Not tested
From what I understand, I need to bring the TA down to 80ish and get the FC level up much higher than I have been carrying it (the pool store's 3-5 range--not so much with a SWG and CYA=90. I understand that better now).
So given that I'd like to get the borates added soon as well, I would like some thoughts on a plan of attack, i.e. the order and quickness at which I can get things more properly balanced.
A couple of side notes:
[--The pool has always been pretty clear over the years, but when I first see the slightest bit of cloudiness, I have shocked it with 2.5g of shock (not enough I know now)
--Oddly, at the beginning of this year, the CYA read "4." Last year it was in the 65-70 range. I do not understand how it could have dropped that low (given that it is supposed to be hard to decrease0, but after adding the CYA this year, it has been slightly high at 90 for the last couple of tests. I'd like it to correct naturally with splash out or refilling vs. draining some if that will work.[/list]
I hope that provides enough info to get you started. Looking forward to reaching a low maintenance state.