Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Figuring out a new pump for a repo'd house

1. Back To Top    #1

Figuring out a new pump for a repo'd house

Hey guys,
    First, I'm going to just apologize for my ignorance. I'm 100% COMPLETLY new to the entire pool thing. I purchased a HUD house in the winter that I've been remodelling. After several days of pool cleanup - I'm trying to get it going, but my pump is dead. After pool cleanup, repainting, and some plumbing I kicked the pool on. The motor sounds "stuck". Following what advice I could find online I've

. Replaced the thing on top of the motor that goes out sometimes (can't remember what it's called)
    . Beat on the motor
    . Made sure the shaft wasn't locked up - I can turn it with my hand.

I'm jumping to the conclusion that I need a new pump. I'm looking for something inexpensive, actually, downright cheap due to some stuff going on. Will this work? ... 7AodexM-XA

Here is the info I could think of to provide. Anything I missed, or I need to provide more info on let me know, and I'll get it.

. The old pump motor was Franklin Electric 1HP - ... .59.55.jpg
    . Pool is 10 - 20 years old
    . The pool is in ground plaster
    . Deepest side is 5 ft, shallow side is 2.5
    . Sand filter
    . Here is a pic of the pump\filter\plumbing setup (sorry for quality) - ... icture.jpg
    . Here are some pics of the pool ... .23.08.jpg ... .28.13.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Figuring out a new pump for a repo'd house

Welcome to TFP!

Depending on how much of a DIY type you are, you might want to replace just the motor and keep the wet end of your current pump. That is a little more work, but will allow you to get a better result for the same price. Otherwise, the pump you linked to is alright.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Could you point me in the right direction of a new motor? I failed to mention - the bottom of the housing that fills with water leaks. I can't decide if silicone would fix it or if the pressure would just push it out....

4. Back To Top    #4

Youngsville NC

If the wet end is leaking - get a replacement pump.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Nature2 Express , Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Southern NH

You could also look for a used one on Craigslist. I got 2 Hayward motors with pump attached for $35. Hard to beat that.
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)