Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tear on liner just above the water line.

1. Back To Top    #1

Tear on liner just above the water line.

Hey Guys, I hope everyone is well. Iím new to the site so please bear with me. Iíve got this tear (actually not 1 but 3) on my 18X36 inground pool. I went to my local pool supplies and got a quote for a new liner with installation for about 4 grand. Unfortunately, I donít have this money right now so Iím thinking of patching them for now if this is even possible.

I would appreciate it if anyone here can share your experiences. Iím a DIY person so I plan to do it myself I just need some guidance. Here are some pictures that I took. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks so much everyone. Love the site by the way. Itís awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Looks like it's time for a new liner. I found a close-out liner partern for less than $900 of course you can't be picky doing it that way.

Then I had a guy install it for about 1000 we probably could've done it ourselves but I had never done an in ground pool liner before, and he took the old liner and disposed of it.

Don't do the swap during a heavy and wet season wait till it's dry and don't keep the liner out for very long.
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tear on liner just above the water line.

I guess it wouldn't hurt much or cost too much to try and patch........and then see how it holds.......if that doesn't work then you know it's time for a new liner.........and we also purchased a closeout pattern and installed ourselves........wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we saved over $3000.....so that was incentive enough for doing it ourselves.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, You could patch it to get through the summer and plan to swap it next spring.
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, nothing you do is going to look that good, the best you are likely to do is find a remnant of a similar pattern and cement it in place. With luck it will hold for the swim season, but do plan on a new liner before long.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

spray-on-duct-tape-and-liner-t23816.html

Give it a shot....but do plan on a new liner soon.