Taylor K-2006 kit

How do you know the cya is going down? Unless you are draining and refilling it shouldn't be...if it is you've got other problems.

Was your FC down at 4 ppm because the pool is using it up so fast? If it is, you need to redose your chlorine more often and shoot for a little higher level.

Pool is finally sparkling and clear again, but having to add chlorine bleach daily to keep it that way. PH is 7.4 TA is 110 and CYA is 70 and it is in sunlight all day long and right now we are having a heat wave like crazy!!! FC was low 1.5 so added more bleach..will retest in a couple of hours.

No way to tell if that is normal or not since your pool details are not in your signature ... could be very normal if you pool is 100,000 gallons. ;)

What alternative would you suggest besides bleach? Using any other form of chlorine, you would still need to add just as much FC per day ... only most other forms cost more than bleach and add other unneeded chemicals.

If you daily FC loss is more than about 3ppm, then I suggest you do an OCLT to see if something is growing in your pool consuming all your FC. This is very possible as it is obvious you have let the FC drop lower than the recommended minimum.

Is this really a cheaper method if I'm adding 2 or 3 gallons of bleach a day?
If you are using 2-3 gallons daily in that pool with CYA of 70 you have some problems.

Your test results are incredibly hard to understand....CYA doesn't go down in a normal pool so you need to figure out why this is happening. Normal FC consumption in that poll should be somewhere around a gallon so you also need to figure out why you are losing all that chlorine.

You test results seem erratic. Can you post a current set of them for us to help get you back on track?

pH
TA
FC
CC
CH
CYA

I'll have to do it again because I didn't do the CC or the hardness test this time. I had to buy more CYA agent and found it in qt size so much cheaper. Sure use a lot of that stuff. I'll redo it soon and post full results. I have already added a gal of chlorine about an hour ago. Thanks everyone for your help. Now that I have to pool crystal clear again, I do want to keep it that way. OH, I'll try and add my pool details too. Do you do that in the signature?

Your cya number seems to be really bouncing around? Are you having trouble with the test?

For cya of 90? ppm, you are still low on your FC level (should be at 7 ppm minimum per poolcalculator.com) for normal FC levels. If it is 90 ppm, you need to do a drain/refill.

As JasonLion said, may need to do/redo the shocking process. Since your chlorine usage is high and you have let your FC level dip below your 7 ppm minimum, I would at least do a OCLT tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, let me ask you this...like I said it's been really hot and sunny here....like it is all up and down the East Coast....doesn't the sun zap the chlorine out of the pool a lot faster when it's sunny and in the 90's every day?

It is the UV that breaks down the FC, so sunny would be a little more than cloudy ... nothing to do with the temp.

But you are already above the recommended levels (30-50ppm) and if 50ppm works for people in AZ, then 60ppm should certainly be protecting your FC up there ;)

EDIT: Now the temperature does affect how quickly the algae wants to grow, so more FC is required for that as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.