Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 11% Chlorine + brass corrosion

1. Back To Top    #1

11% Chlorine + brass corrosion

I installed a DIY peristaltic pump, and have had problems finding stainless or plastic fittings that wouldn't corrode.

In the mean time I'm using these fittings (6mm to 4mm adaptors). They look as though they are made from brass, and are corroding inside, as expected.

http://www.aerohydraulics.com/p-straigh ... 72158.aspx

I have 2 questions.

1. What is the corrosion adding to my pool, and should I worry about it?

2. The chlorine is pumped through at 100ml per minute. Is the strength of the chlorine likely to be significantly reduced by reacting with the metal as it is pumped through? I ask this as I seem to be needing much more chlorine per day than I expected. I am however shocking the pool at the moment, so that might change once the shocking process is finished.

Thanks!
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 11% Chlorine + brass corrosion

The amount of metal added to the water is more or less insignificant, and likewise the effect on the bleach is more or less insignificant. However, it would be best to replace the fitting with something else if possible, as it will fail eventually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 11% Chlorine + brass corrosion

Thanks for the reply Jason, I am planning to replace the fittings when I find some alternatives.
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV