Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ortega/check valves ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Ortega/check valves ??

Ok I have a salt water pool I am attempting to repair. My spa keeps draining down when the pump is not on. Been told to replace to ortega valve that it on a straight pipe coming off the automatic valve that the salt cell runs into. Not sure how to attach pics yet..... Any help ??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ortega/check valves ??

Gonna need a pic. Put the pic on Photobucket or some other service and past in the link here.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

When you replace it, which is probably going to require some PVC plumbing, I recommend replacing it with the fancier kind with a cover that can be removed so that future repairs do not require plumbing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Lets try this

5. Back To Top    #5

No? Trying to figure out how to post pics. I have them on photobucket

6. Back To Top    #6

I fixed your image. You just want the URL, not all of that HTML code along with it.

I haven't seen one of those in a while, but if I remember correctly that cap on the left comes off allowing you to service the check valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, I hope the valve is serviceable because you do not have any clear pipe to re-plumb.

If the check valve is dead, you likely have to cut out and replace the Jandy valve, the flow sensor, and the union going to the SWG.

Or you could cut out the Ortega and use a smaller pipe glued to the inside of the Jandy valve, and then maybe turn down and add a Jandy/Pentair check valve vertically.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!