Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Helping a friend who has been pool store'd

1. Back To Top    #1

Helping a friend who has been pool store'd

My friend has been going to a pool store for years. She has been using something that has obviously been adding cya. The store keeps telling her to shock, and then sells her cal-hypo(notice the CH results). I don't think she has every actually got the pool to shock level.

I went to her house with my kit and here are the results.

Fc .5
    Cc .5
    Tc. 1
    Ph 7.8
    Ta 250
    Ch 450
    Cya 100+

Help me make a bbb convert.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Helping a friend who has been pool store'd

First thing would be to lower CYA by doing a partial drain and refill

3. Back To Top    #3

She is doing that today. So when she fills it back up I guess we test cya again and then begin the shock process if CYA is reasonable?
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaclave
    She is doing that today. So when she fills it back up I guess we test cya again and then begin the shock process if CYA is reasonable?
    CYA first.

Then pH to 7.2

Then shock.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Remind her to be patient! A pool like that is going to take a while to clear up. Stay strong - she'll probably want to convert back the old pool store ways after a couple days...
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater

6. Back To Top    #6

rhumbaclave:

What is the pool surface of your friend's pool (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass, other???)? I'm assuming the pool in your signature is for your pool, not your friend's. Reason I ask is, since you are doing a partial drain & refill (D&R) mainly for CYA, you may also want to test the CH during this process. Plaster pools require some CH (ideally 250-350 ppm). However for vinyl and fiberglass pools, the CH should be kept at lower levels. If the pool has either a vinyl or fiberglass surface, try to get the CH below 300 ppm while you are doing a partial D&R. Would hate to see you complete the D&R, then get the pool in shape and later discover that the CH is still too high for the pool's surface. That would require another partial D&R to remove the excess CH.

Click the Pool Calculator link in my sig for target levels of CH for the pool surface type as well as for CYA (pool surface doesn't matter for CYA). The thing to remember about CYA and CH is that it is much easier to add these chemicals if either amount is lower than your target than it is to get rid of them if either amount is too high.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. It is a vinyl liner pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

With a vinyl liner you never want to drain too low, you always want at least a foot of water in the shallow end, otherwise the liner may lift up and wrinkle.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~