Electronic water chemistry testers and monitors

May 16, 2011
PA
Are there any good electronic pool chemistry monitors that cover the full spectrum of properties necessary to maintain water quality?

My heater can report reliably on water temperature. My salt generator reports salt levels. A few devices (Chemtrol and the poorly-rated ePOOL) measure pH and sanitizer levels (the latter using Oxidation-Reduction Potential -- ORP -- sensors).

Is there a reason these other characteristics can't be electronically monitored?
  • Alkalinity[/*:m:1e9rbdbp]
  • Calcium Hardness[/*:m:1e9rbdbp]
  • Cyanuric Acid[/*:m:1e9rbdbp]
  • Phosphates[/*:m:1e9rbdbp]

There are somewhere in excess of 10 million swimming pools in the U.S., and every one needs these levels monitored to work well. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for a continuous monitor with reasonable accuracy instead of having to frequently dip and eye test strips. If even 1% of owners bought an electronic monitor that's a 100k unit market!

There are, but maintaining and calibrating them makes them more trouble than they are worth. Your salt cell doesn't actually monitor salt, it monitors conductivity of the water, and that can be influenced by other minerals.

There is very little benefit to monitoring TA, CH, CYA or Phosphates, as they change very slowly. The chemical tests are cheap and accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.