Water behind vinyl liner with heavy rains

racryf

Jun 13, 2012
Orwigsburg, PA
We have had a problem with water getting behind the walls of our 3 year old vinyl in ground free-form pool since installation. This occurs at almost every area, at different times, after a heavy rainfall. Our pool builder has installed an additional perimeter drain, to no avail.
We have tumbled paver coping and cement decking.
The newest thing they tried was to pull the sealant out between the coping and decking and drill holes where the sealant was, thinking the cement guy poured the concrete wrong. This did not solve our problem.
I asked the builder to go and check the main drain gasket today, he is planning on doing that tomorrow.
I am hoping someone out there has suggestions, we are at our wits end!
Thanks,
Beth

The perimeter drain was the right answer, but it's not something you could easily do well after the pool was installed. Your problem is that the ground water is getting as deep as the pool water, so there is no force on the liner to hold it against the walls.

What is the layout of your yard? Slope? Does any water naturally flow into your yard? If you could post post pictures of the yard and or pool, it might help us understand.

Anything you can do to keep water out of your yard will help. Putting in drain lines for downspouts or redirecting water flow.

The most common fix is to dig a hole (orseveral) near the pool to the level of the pool bottom. Put a pipe with a strainer in the hole, fill the hole with rock, and arrange it so you can pump water out of the hole during wet weather. Most of the time people manually hook the pump to the pipe when needed, but your situation sounds extreme, and you might need some kind of automatic setup.

Wow! What a beautiful setting.

It sure looks like the water can get away from the pool, but apparently it isn't. Do you know if drain tile was put behind the retaining walls when they were built? Does water puddle at all on the deck between the pool and the retaining wall?

There is very little standing water on the deck against the retaining walls, although it does happen with severe rain. There are drains along the bottom of the retaining walls to help with that.
What is confusing is that it is happening intermittently all around the pool, at different times, with different rainfalls.
Originally it was happening only along the spa area walls, now it is all around.
We have all people involved with trying to figure out what is going on-from the pool builder, hardscaper to even the pool manufacturer. No one can seem to find the source.
Thanks for your kind words, we love it, except for this issue!
I appreciate any input,
Beth

This may seem like a weird question, but was it an especially hot, dry year when the pool was installed? Sometimes there are natural underground springs or streams that may have been dry when the pool was constructed that have been replenished and are causing issues now. You may need to install a couple of well points (the hole with the pipe described in an earlier post) if you can't find a way to divert the water. Does the problem happen every time it rains or just after hard or prolonged rains?

Most often after hard & prolonged rains.
My 40ish mind can't recall if it was dry when they installed it, it took from April-August. I would say it was more dry than not.
I will let my pool builder & the manufacturer know about the hole drilling, although that doesn't sound like an aesthetically pleasing solution!
Beth

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.