New to pools and the forum. Got questions

Jun 13, 2012
Hello
I just put up a 14'x42" intex ultra pool. I filled it by water truck and filtered well water.
I browsed this site and found the "pool calculator". I tested the water last night and obviously had 0 FC in the water. I put that in to the calculator and it said to add 22oz of 6%bleach. I did that last night. Tested the water this morning and it still showed zero chlorine in the pool. Should I have added more bleach since it was the first application?

The pool holds 3500 gallons

I also bought a chlorine dispenser and tablets but am lookin for the cheapest way to chlorinate..

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Welcome to TFP!

22oz of 6% would have raised you to 3ppm, but as soon as the sun hit the water this morning, it would have started breaking down. Any contaminants in the water would have also consumed chlorine overnight. You need to get about 40ppm of CYA or stabilizer in the water to help prevent that. Then you'll want to hold your chlorine at 5ppm and you should be good with adding about 22oz of bleach a day.

You'll probably find that the floating dispenser won't put chlorine in the water fast enough to keep up with your demand. Bleach is easy and inexpensive.

Thanks! I will pick up some stabilizer today and add that and bleach this evening.

Also should I be concerned that 4 of my posts are leaning out on one side of the pool and it appears to be a slight low spot?

ok. I got hth stabilizer and conditioner(sounds like beads in container). What now? It says to add it to the skimmer. i don't know how much to add? the chart shows 10k gallons and up. I know it was suggested earlier to go with 40PPM..so the chart says to put 4lbs in for a 10k gallon pool so would i go with a little less than half of that? do i put that in and put the bleach in at the same time?

And for the picture of my leaning posts I will get one tomorrow.. i think the all the posts sunk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
The best way to figure out how much to add is to use the pool calculator. It will tell you exactly how much to add.

Ok so I think it's telling me to add 19 oz. just slowly pour that into the skimmer? Just to make sure I'm correct with this calculator. On the left input area that is the ppm correct? So I put 3500 gal for the pool size and 0 for the CYA level out of 40 and it tells me 19oz. Sound like in reading it correctly?
Sorry im a noob..

Thanks!

JasonLion said:
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Just pour slowly. If you pour too quickly it can clog up. Also, remember not to backwash/clean the filter for a week.

One more question before I do this. Should I take the basket out? Or pour it into the basket?

Pics to see what u think about the slight lean:
205a3cd5.jpg

4be1bb07.jpg

25f5cd77.jpg
leaning post. Also is it normal for the hose to make hang and pull like u see on right side of this pic? Does that on both inlet and outlet ^
be1b1de6.jpg

95b971e6.jpg

I would definitely get some blocks under the legs. It'll only get worse.
Make sure the legs are level left / right along the side of the pool. In / out from the pool a little is kind of expected if the ground isn't 100% level.
That should make it level enough.

Looks like your tiki torch should be leveled also :p

The hanging hose is expected, but I'm sure there are some ways to make it better.
I've heard people cutting up float noodles and wedging it between the inlet / outlet and the liner on the inside of the pool, so it doesn't put so much concentrated pressure on the liner.

I can't find the post, but the same person put the noodle pieces between the leg blocks and the liner.
I posted a link before, but there are some other where people show how to block the legs w/o emptying the pool. If you search about you might find them.

<edit>
Found it... "midwest intex" is the who did the noodle idea.
intex-ultra-frame-help-t43043.html

One I posted before
successfully-jacked-up-an-intex-summer-escapes-pool-t45938.html?hilit=intex%20post
</edit>

barelylegible said:
I would definitely get some blocks under the legs. It'll only get worse.
Make sure the legs are level left / right along the side of the pool. In / out from the pool a little is kind of expected if the ground isn't 100% level.
That should make it level enough.

Looks like your tiki torch should be leveled also :p

The hanging hose is expected, but I'm sure there are some ways to make it better.
I've heard people cutting up float noodles and wedging it between the inlet / outlet and the liner on the inside of the pool, so it doesn't put so much concentrated pressure on the liner.

I can't find the post, but the same person put the noodle pieces between the leg blocks and the liner.
I posted a link before, but there are some other where people show how to block the legs w/o emptying the pool. If you search about you might find them.

<edit>
Found it... "midwest intex" is the who did the noodle idea.
intex-ultra-frame-help-t43043.html

One I posted before
successfully-jacked-up-an-intex-summer-escapes-pool-t45938.html?hilit=intex%20post
</edit>

Thanks for the links! And haha on the tiki torch. U must not of seen the one laying in its side in the pic? I just stuck those in the fire pit to mow grass.

I don't know if I have the cahonies to jack it up. I may give it a week or so to see if it gets worse before I get into that task..

I put 19 oz of stabilizer in this morning. When should I test the water next? This evening? Also if I go away for a few days do I just put extra bleach in before I go? Or when I get back?

Thanks for the input everyone!

Jdsmitty10 said:
I tied the hoses up and over the direction they needed to go with shoe strings.. No more sagging hoses..

I did similar with jute twine. I put a little flat piece of wood between the hose and the twine so it didn't squish flat.
Gets the job done.

The CYA should be checked about a week later. Use the amount of bleach you would need based on the estimated level of CYA per what you put in until you test it again. Also, don't clean the filter for a week or you could wash away some of the undissolved stabilizer. **I think I've seen somewhere that the HTH dissolves a little faster and you might not have to wait a full week.

As for when to put bleach in... if no one is going to be using the pool, I'd just bump it up a bit before you left as long is it isn't more than a few days. Also, don't use the tabs with the floater if it's Trichlor as it will raise your CYA (unless you don't care about this).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.