Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why can't I get my CYA up

1. Back To Top    #1

Seacoast, NH

Why can't I get my CYA up

For the fourth summer in a row, the entire time we've had our pool, I'm having trouble getting the CYA up. I added four lbs of Cya last week and, while the ph dropped exactly as expected, the. Cya didnt move a speck. I'm going to add another 4 lbs. Every year I go through this, adding more cya and it inching up very slowly. By the end if the summer I maybe get cya to 50 and then it's time to close. In the spring cya is almost all gone.

Any idea of cause? I know I could be underestimating my water, but not to the point of NO cya rise. Pool is 18 by 36, kidney shape with a bump on the side, shallow end is 3 ft, deep is 8 ft I doubt it is converting to ammonia because my FC looks good.

FC 4.5
    CC. 0
    PH. 7.3
    CH. 140
    TA. 80

19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    North Central Texas

Re: Why can't I get my CYA up

With a SWG, I believe you want a higher CYA.

If I plug in your numbers to the pool calculator, to get to a CYA of 70, if you started out at 0, would take 11 pounds.
    The 4 pounds you added would raise you about 25.
    If you add the other 8 pounds, it would get you up to around 50, if CYA were 0.

A week after you have added the 8 pounds total, retest, and we can go from there.
    BTW, how are you getting your test results?
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Re: Why can't I get my CYA up

First, sometimes CYA just disappears during the winter - without ill effects/side effects.

If you had zero CYA and added enough to get to about 25, assume it is in the pool. However, the tester won't measure below 20 and it's quite a subjective test. So, even if it were all dissolved, there's a chance you wouldn't be able to tell. The test is also +/- 10 ppm or so.

I agree with aa62579 and suggest you add enough to get to 50, wait a week or so to confirm, then add the balance needed to get to the ideal limit for a SWG.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!