Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much Borax?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much Borax?

I have a 20,000 gallon pool and just started adding borax 20 mule to the pool to help raise ph. I do not have any borate testing strips, but was wondering how many 4lbs. 12oz boxes of borax I can add per season (June - sept.15) and still be in the acceptable range for borate? I'm sure someone knows the answer to this. Thanks for your help.
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much Borax?

About 25 boxes in one season, or eight boxes every season for many years in a row, will both bring your borate level to more or less the upper limit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So the borate stays in the water through the winter?

I read about how to add borates to help keep your pool balanced, but it seems like a lot of money for a pool that is open for 4 months. However, if I raise the borate level this year it will be in the same range next year when I open the pool more or less?

How would you recommend that I raise the PH? Add 8 boxes this season then move to using PH+, Do the full borates treatment this season, or use aeration + ph+ when needed. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm still a noobie.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, borates stay in the water. The borate level only goes down when you lose water, for example from backwashing or winterizing, or splash out.

Why are you raising the PH so much? If you are using trichlor tablets it is better to raise the PH with soda ash. Other than that, there shouldn't be any reason to raise the PH even remotely close to that much.

Borates are optional. If the cost bothers you then simply ignore borates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jasonlion,
    I am not using trichlor tablets. I have switched over to bleach for shock. I have just switched over to bleach last week and I'm trying to get used to it. I have to increase PH every time it rains. I understand that PH should normally rise on its own, Correct? I have just started using a decent test kit K2006, so perhaps last year I was raising ph and lowering ph often due to the fact that I was going by the results to my test strips which are inaccurate. I'm thinking about continuing to add borax as needed this season, but not going over 8 boxes. Then switching over to PH+ once I have established some form of a borate level. Does this make sense? Thanks for your advice.

6. Back To Top    #6

If your PH is constantly falling, just raise the TA a bit and it should stop falling.

7. Back To Top    #7

My TA is at 100 where about should it be? TFP says about 70-90ppm. Could you address the rest of my questions in my last post when you have a chance? Thanks again I'm just trying to get thing correct

8. Back To Top    #8

If your PH is going down that much and you aren't using trichlor, then something is wrong, and you should figure out what and resolve it. That renders the rest of your question moot.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just stopped the trichlor on Friday June 8th. so that is probably the reason the ph has dropped I also added CYA about 3 lbs. on June 8th as well. Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm thinking about continuing to add borax as needed this season, but not going over 8 boxes. Then switching over to PH+ once I have established some form of a borate level. Does this make sense? Thanks for your advice.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by doublewide6
    I just stopped the trichlor on Friday June 8th. so that is probably the reason the ph has dropped I also added CYA about 3 lbs. on June 8th as well. Thanks
    Once you stop using acidic source of chlorine (trichlor), your pH dropping problem should also stop.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Also, the Cyanuric Acid you added would lower the pH. Now that you've stopped adding CYA and adding Trichlor, the pH should stabilize or slowly rise.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"