Removing an LED Ungrounded Light?

ED-209

Apr 2, 2012
Florida Panhandle
Ok, I read a bunch of threads about making sure to clean out from behind lights to prevent algae and I've never done this and I think I might have some hiding behind there as before I found this wonderful place I have had multiple instances of algae and now I have everything running great but I never have cleaned behind my color changing LED light and don't want to take any chances before it starts getting really hot here.

I just wanted to make sure I don't do anything wrong or cause any issues, and wasn't sure if it as simple as just going underwater and taking out the screws and removing or do I have to drain my pool past the light?

I feel stupid for asking but just wanted to make sure there wasn't any common thing that I need to either do or more importantly NOT do that everyone else knows about that I don't know about, like when putting the light back in. All I know of course is to turn the breaker off for the light.

One other question, once I remove the light do I just agitate the algae so it mixes with the pool water and dies or do I need to vacuum it out?

Thanks so much for the help.

You don't need to drain the pool. Just remove the fixture. There should be enough cable to allow you to set the fixture on the deck. You can just brush whatever is in there out or you can vacuum it out. Whichever you prefer.

I'd raise the FC to shock level for your CYA just before doing it just to make sure you don't lose too much FC if there is anything in there. It'd also be a good time to clean out from behind anywhere that anything else might be hiding.

Bama Rambler said:
You don't need to drain the pool. Just remove the fixture. There should be enough cable to allow you to set the fixture on the deck. You can just brush whatever is in there out or you can vacuum it out. Whichever you prefer.

I'd raise the FC to shock level for your CYA just before doing it just to make sure you don't lose too much FC if there is anything in there. It'd also be a good time to clean out from behind anywhere that anything else might be hiding.

Thanks soooo much for the help and will do on bringing it up to shock level. Just glad nothing special needs to be done. Other than the light, I took the ladder out a while ago as that was the only other hiding place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.