Salt Water Monster--cholorine readings, pool care etc.

Salt water new question--minerals?

Thanks for all of the help earlier. We have started to get the pool and spa back in shape. Apparently, the issue was no CYA and the chlorine was not keeping. We are finally starting to get a chlorine reading. As you recommended, added CYA very slowly and it is at about 50 now.

New Question: the water remains crystal clear green. In the pool as well. I read your recommendations on minerals in the pool water and have been using mineral removers (NuClean) but water remains green. The pool store tested the water and it has zero copper reading. We are out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated.

I used a product that we had which I think is a sequestrant It says it removes copper from water. It also says that if the water doesnt clear up after two doses, two hours apart, it is not metal. But what else could if be? I Jacks stuff (purple) truly that different than other sequestrants? Posting picture in a minute.

It's called nu-clo and the tub say it is a demineralizer. It states it "treats iron, copper, and manganese discolored water. The water is cloudy and green again so it is hard to figure out exactly what is going on.

Ramla said:
The water is cloudy and green again so it is hard to figure out exactly what is going on.

So was it green and crystal clear before or cloudy? If it never got crystal clear and blue, there was probably algae in the water, once you start moving the water around, it clouds up the pool.

Cloudy=algae. Shock your pool. If you meet the 3 conditions of being done shocking, then you can worry about metals. It really sounds like you haven't had a decent amount of chlorine in your pool to keep the stuff from growing....that is the stuff that made it cloudy and/or green recently.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Before turning cloudy it was crystal clear but green. We have shocked it multiple times and get chlorine readings...occasionally. We had a reading of 3.0 yesterday afternoon. Now it's gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shock process is the same for all pools. Although usually best to turn off the SWG while shocking.

Once you pass the three tests to stop shocking, then we can figures out if you have to deal with metals.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Ok, am following the 3 step shocking process. I put chlorine in it twice yesterday and am going to measure again this afternoon. If I lose one ppm of chlorine, I know to keep putting chlorine in it.

Stay tuned.....and thanks for all the help!

Ok, am following the 3 step shocking process. I put chlorine in it twice yesterday and am going to measure again this afternoon. If I lose one ppm of chlorine, I know to keep putting chlorine in it.
Well, that has elements of correctness to it but it's not entirely correct. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that procedure precisely.

Sorry, I was being short-handed about it. I am following the protocol on Shock Your Pool that has 5 numbered steps under "shocking." The only thing I am having a bit of trouble with is The Cholorine/CYA Chart at pool school which says to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level. The FC shock level for my SWG pool with a CYA of about 60 is 24. What does that translate into? In other words, how do I know I have reached 24?

My apologies if I am asking stupid questions. I really am reading the site very carefully but just keep stumbling on terminology.

In order for you to know you've gotten to 24 you have to have the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Add what chlorine the Pool Calc says to add and then test it in about an hour and if not there add what the Calc says to get from where you are to where you should be.

Just got water tested. Totally baffling.

FC: 0
Total Chlorine: 3.48
Alk: 206
Ph: 7.7
Calcium Hardness: 120
CYA: 10
Copper: 0
Iron: 0

Should my plan remain to shock pool as per instructions in pool school? CYA is lower than it was last week and we have not added fresh water. Any explanations? We are going to turn off the auto fill to see if maybe there is a leak. How else could we lose acid???

Yup goo through the shock process.

And as you now realize, you need a good test kit to do it correctly. Order one sooner than later since you will not make good progress until you have it.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Ok, going through the shock process. We put in a total 36 pounds of Turboshock yesterday and the water is still the same! No change in color or clarity. Husband is on the way to get water tested at the pool store (we are still waiting for our home test kit) and buy yet more chlorine. I'm starting to really worry that there is something majorly wrong. 36 pounds is a lot of chlorine and it appears to have done nothing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support