Using TriChlor Pucks in the Liquidator?

Apr 18, 2008
Just curiuos what would happen if you put 5 or 6 chlorine pucks in the bottom on the liqudator and let the pump run 24/7. Keep in mind I know you wouldn't add bleach with the pucks in the unit. But if the pucks were in there by themselves and just slowly dissolved what would that hurt? Would it damage the equipment?

Trichlor pucks are very acidic so if they slowly dissolved then the acidity might build up and that could damage The Liquidator, especially if it had any metal exposed to that water. Using pucks would also add to Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. If that's what you want to do (i.e. increase CYA level), then using a floating feeder would be better, though even then you want to make sure such feeders don't "park" themselves near metal in the pool. I had that happen in my pool and it caused rusting of the metal mounts for the stainless steel rails I have in the pool.

To add CYA to a pool, it's usually easier to either use pure CYA hanging it in a sock or panty hose over a return flow (takes a couple of days to dissolve) or use Dichlor (which dissolves quickly) as your source of chlorine for a while.

Richard

NEVER use trichlor in anything not designed for it. IT CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!

Also, NEVER mix different forms of chlorine in a feeder. Trichlor does not play well with liquid chlorine in concentrated form and, if you didn't ruin the liquidator by putting trichlor in it the residue from the trichlor could react violently when you add liquid chlorine to the unit.

Trichlor feeders are pressurized (for a reason), the liquidator is not. You could end up with an explosion.

I didn't know that about floater parking themselves. MIne does that all the time it gets stuck between the ladder and the side of the pool I'm not sure how to prevent though. I just thought it would possibly damage the liner I hadn't noticed any effects on the ladder or the liner really but I mostly use bleach and pucks just from time to time. Once I get the liquidator hopefully I can ditch the floater for good

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.